Author Topic: '69 Mach--Need Pics of Original Wheelhouse/Trunk/Quarter  (Read 3056 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 Mach--Need Pics of Original Wheelhouse/Trunk/Quarter
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
I'm currently finishing up the panel replacement on a Metuchen-built '69 Mach 1. At the moment, I'm wrestling with trying to get the lower rear quarter, the trunk drop-off, and the outer wheelhouse to fit together, especially right behind the rear tires.  The ultimate problem is this: when I bought this car, it had had all the aforementioned panels replaced.  Some were fabricated (poorly), and some were reproduction.

I've attempted to reconstruct things the correct way, and I've replaced all of the parts with current reproductions.  However, nothing seems to fit, and it seems like either the trunk floor drop-off is too short to correctly mate with the lip on the quarter panel, or else the quarter panel patch is too long.  Can someone provide pictures of an original car?  I've never fixed a '69 before, and I've nothing to use for reference.  I've noticed that a '69 Weld and Sealant manual isn't available, but a '70 version is.

Again, I can make all of this stuff fit together, but I want it to look like the area's never been touched.  I believe in doing it right, or not attempting it at all.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: '69 Mach--Need Pics of Original Wheelhouse/Trunk/Quarter
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:51:28 AM »
I have replaced several trunk drop off panels on the 69 & 70 models, I don't believe they make one specific for the 69 & 70 and the ones I have used are a couple of inches too long from a original qtr. panel and the holes for the back up lights are not in the correct place and need to be welded up and drilled in the correct location. The drain hole needs to be modified as well. I have used reproduction rear qtr. sections and qtr. panels and don't remember a fit issue at the trunk drop off area but everywhere else is a problem as the body lines are not as crisp and the wheel arch is not a defined as original. I have not used the new FULL qtr. panels that go up to the factory seam, I hope they are better than the skins that go just above the upper body line. If you are just using the lower rear patch panel it sound like you may have it further down the panel than is should and needs to be moved further up. The best advise on that is measure a original cars marker lamp and body line as a reference. IF you can't find one I will measure one of mine to help you out. Remember before you weld anything pre fit attaching parts like the marker lamp and back up panel as they normally need to be tweaked a little too. Hope this helps.....CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »
Chris, after thinking about this a good bit last night, here's what I think might've happened.  The previous owners installed one of the trunk patch panels that includes the actual trunk floor and drop-off.  In other words, they didn't just section in pieces in order to get rid of rust; they replaced the entire floor piece by piece.  I wonder if they didn't cut way too much off of the drop-off, because there's barely enough material left to plug weld the lower quarter patch to.  That would also explain why there's so little material left around the wheelhouse area.

Anyways, I realize that all of this is very difficult to explain without posting pictures.  I'll try to get a few pictures put up in the next few days.  Thanks!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »
Also, I can't use the marker light holes as  reference--of course!--since the patch panel goes high enough to cover that area and the P.O. didn't see fit to transfer the location into the new metal when he installed it.

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
Here's mine. Original drop downs and quarters.

I have a bunch of pics on my pc at home I can't get to right now. Feel free to e-mail or pm me with requests.

Left side. Could not find one of the right. It is identical and has the rectangular shaped plug still in place. SJ car. 5/12/69
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:58:25 PM by Sluggo »
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:49 AM »
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of pictures I'm looking for!  I'll try to post pictures later on today of the fitment issues I'm dealing with.