Author Topic: Phosphating solutions  (Read 1699 times)

Offline BKnapp

Phosphating solutions
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »
I am still learning about the phosphating options and procedures. I have read many different threads on many different forums and was (maybe still am) confused about the usage of the terms P&O, Phosphate, Zinc Phosphate, Magnesium Phosphate...I think I am coming to an understanding. Here is what I have so far, and please correct me where I am wrong:

- Both Zinc & Magnesium Phosphate processes are actually followed by oil, WD40, Boeshield, or similar
- The term "P&O" seems be used solely for the Magnesium Phosphate
- Both finishes use similar procedures, just a different phosphating solution
- I assume, through further research, I will be able to determine the "correct" finish (zinc or magnesium) when posts refer to "phosphate" without specifying

Again, I am learning the ropes, acquiring knowledge, and learning through trial and error...hopefully without explosions. I finally got my vibratory tumbler, blasting cabinet (still trying to learn about the various media), zinc plating kit, strainers, etc....still have stuff to acquire.

Is anyone familiar with or have tried these products?

http://mg34.com/product-category/parkerizing/

As always, looking forward to learning more!

Thanks!

Bill
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline jwc66k

Re: Phosphating solutions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
Bill,
I'll give it a try.
- Both Zinc & Magnesium Phosphate processes are actually followed by oil, WD40, Boeshield, or similar
The Ford spec for -S2, the most common of the phosphated items, say zinc first, manganese is acceptable if it meets the requirement; and then covered in oil. I assume motor oil (not peanut), but I used WD-40 after smelling up the neighborhood with used 20 weight at 300F. Boeshield is a more recent commodity and is more expensive and not as available as WD-40. Both work for me.
It's a general abbreviation for Phosphate and Oil.
-

Yup. Clean it, boil it, dry it, oil it, use it. (A simplified sequence.)
- I assume, through further research, I will be able to determine the "correct" finish (zinc or magnesium) when posts refer to "phosphate" without specifying
Again, no difference as to what Ford required.
Again, I am learning the ropes, acquiring knowledge, and learning through trial and error...hopefully without explosions. I finally got my vibratory tumbler, blasting cabinet (still trying to learn about the various media), zinc plating kit, strainers, etc....still have stuff to acquire.
I found a lot (two words) of my small items at Goodwill, all stainless. The blackening solution I use is from Eastwood. The glass beads I prefer is from TP Tools in Ohio www.tptools.com Look up "Scat Magic" for some strong glass. You're not doing vanes on a jet engine, so got rough.
I've used magnesium phosphate, but to be truthful, I don't know what I'm using now, as long as it works. Don't mix them, that's never a good idea. Most of the time, 1 or 2 ounces per gallon is what you use. What ever brand or flavor you use and like, continue. If availability become an issue, you have an option.
Jim
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »

In most threads you will find that we don't differentiate between either zinc or mag in the description. Each will produce a slightly or greatly different final tone but this can be effected in my experience by how long you cook the batch also

That combined with what pieces your doing and what they looked like originally will provide a guide

Is anyone familiar with or have tried these products?

Never heard of them but there are tons of sites that carry the stuff. New sites everyday and everyday a few go under.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:23:29 AM »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:22:37 AM »
Absolutely...I believe I even commented on it in the thread. That is what inspired me to do a bit more research and give it a try. The database of fasteners and applications you collected is also amazing. I have said it a couple of times, but the wealth of knowledge you and a number of others share on the forum give simpletons such as myself hope and confidence in pursuing the projects.
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125