Author Topic: First MCA show results- St. Augustine  (Read 2927 times)

Offline nham3407

First MCA show results- St. Augustine
« on: May 01, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
Received my judging sheet from the St. Augustine show this morning.  First I would like to thank the judges who took the time to look my car over and provide some great feedback.  This was the first time the car was judged via MCA under the concourse rules.  I must admit my nerves were on edge the entire time they were looking over the car.  While there may be 1 or 2 items that could be verified to be correct (v-belt part numbers..) over all I really agree with their feedback.  The items they have pointed out have thus far just been beyond the wallet to get resolved.  Some are just misses by me in cleaning and will be great areas to focus on for the next show.  In total I had 14 points deducted and still obtained a gold so I could not be any happier.  I know being a judge can be contentious at times, I just appreciate the knowledge and benchmark they are entrusted to maintain for this classification.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 06/68

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
Re: First MCA show results- St. Augustine
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »
How many of your deductions were for cleanliness?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
. While there may be 1 or 2 items that could be verified to be correct (v-belt part numbers..) ..............

If your referring to part numbers - if you were entered in the Concurs Trailer or Driven class those should not have been looked at nor reviewed by the judges. Now if the physical/visual design was different from original then those would count towards a possible and likely deduction
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
How many of your deductions were for cleanliness?

2 points deducted for cleanliness- 1 for the intake manifold and 1 for the engine bay.

Those areas will definitely be focus areas for the next show.

How do other get dust out of the valleys in the runners of the intake?  I used one of those Swiffer dusters around the whole engine area and then dampened a cloth to get areas in the groves of the valve covers and other miscellaneous areas.  This car is a driver so the heat of the engine is tending to discolor the valleys of the intake a little.  It is not rattle can paint, but it is darkening a bit.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »

If your referring to part numbers - if you were entered in the Concurs Trailer or Driven class those should not have been looked at nor reviewed by the judges. Now if the physical/visual design was different from original then those would count towards a possible and likely deduction

I was in concourse.  They are the Marti Works repro belts with the part numbers stamped onto them.  I assume I had shut the car off with both of the belt numbers on the underside of the belt loop not allowing them to be visible. Next show I will shut the car off so they are visible or just loosen the accessory and spin them around to be seen.  Will see if that helps next time.  You can see the markings on the picture posted above on the alternator pulley.

Still very happy with the overall feedback and I understand that every judge has a perspective and I can respect that.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
How do other get dust out of the valleys in the runners of the intake?

I use a dry micro fiber rag to wipe down and compressed air at the same time.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:16:18 AM »
2 points deducted for cleanliness- 1 for the intake manifold and 1 for the engine bay.

Those areas will definitely be focus areas for the next show.

How do other get dust out of the valleys in the runners of the intake?  I used one of those Swiffer dusters around the whole engine area and then dampened a cloth to get areas in the groves of the valve covers and other miscellaneous areas.  This car is a driver so the heat of the engine is tending to discolor the valleys of the intake a little.  It is not rattle can paint, but it is darkening a bit.

If it is a driver, you have probably done all you can.  The judges don't like driver cars in anything but the driver category, in any concours category they hammer driver cars.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 12:31:39 AM »
I had a 68 fastback that I showed in the MCA concours driven class. I put over 38K on it attending shows. It won silver and gold enough times that it received a grill medallion and went in the conservator class. I never felt that the judges did not like it, many commented how clean it was. That does not just happen, you have to clean you butt off. It is much easier to clean at home and put it in a trailer so it is perfect at the show, but there is nothing like driving a Mustang across the country. Some of the best trips of our lives.
Marty   

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:39:51 AM »
+1 +1 I'm in the same boat as you Marty.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 12:13:05 PM »
Well, all I can say is to repeat what a judge said to me when my car was in Trailored Concours, he finished looking and said, "Looks like this car has been DRIVEN".  With a sneer and a wink, and then I knew I was in big trouble........ :)

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
Well, all I can say is to repeat what a judge said to me when my car was in Trailored Concours, he finished looking and said, "Looks like this car has been DRIVEN".  With a sneer and a wink, and then I knew I was in big trouble........ :)

I wouldn't put all judges in the same basket.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
I don't, but you can only judge the judges you have had.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Mike, I'm pretty sure you won a Gold award. Are you confusing SAAC with MCA?

Offline Murf

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
Do not deprive yourself the enjoyment of driving your Mustang in order to receive a trophy.  The pleasure you derive from using a restored Mustang as a means of transportation will long outlive any award you may earn.  I have driven our Mustangs all over the United States for more than 38 years, attending many  MCA shows as well as dozens of other major events and have never felt discriminated against because I had used the Mustang as a car rather than an idol.  Some of the folks on this board  can vouch for the fact that my car is clean when presented for judging and  was shown in the concours class with excellent results long before anyone ever considered a concours driven category.  You can indeed earn an award if you are willing to work hard and choose your route to a show with some thought as to the weather and road conditions.  It is maybe more difficult but very, very rewarding.  And, here is the kicker as far as I am concerned - How can you know you have done an excellent job restoring your car unless you drive it several thousand trouble free miles to prove your work.  Making an old car drive and ride and have the  dependability of a new car is a challenge in itself, a far greater challenge than the cleaning routine.  Just one old guys opinion and I hope that some of you will get the enjoyment from your Mustang that I have.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:23:14 PM by Murf »
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »
Murf you're right on the money. I've driven mine also, had a lot of fun and met some great folks along the way. Lately I've found other ways to get my cars to the shows but not because the car won't make it. The driver and passenger are getting old.