Author Topic: Starter Solenoid for 66 NJ built FB.  (Read 3234 times)

Offline AU SNK

Starter Solenoid for 66 NJ built FB.
« on: May 04, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
Discovered after the St. Augustine show judging that my survivor Metuchen built Fastback starter solenoid had been replaced at some point.  The scheduled build date on the FB was April 15, 66. It is a 289 C code car and has an Automatic transmission which I believe after speaking to Charles could affect which solenoid my car may have come equipped with.

Any help on figuring out what most likely came on the car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Russell
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Starter Solenoid for 66 NJ built FB.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
Don't believe the engine size or transmission type effected the type of solenoid your car came equipped for

For a April built NJ Mustangs I would think that the style marked 2701966 and FoMoCo (in the block style) on the top, black Bakelite body, fine thread main connections and nuts with toothed washers would be the best choice. I do have some examples of the C6 version but later in production and different plant

Unlike the style with the vent in the bottom metal plate an original won't be dated from the ones I've seen. There are reproductions out there or if you find/have an original those can be rebuilt from my understanding

Did find a different one on a mid April dated NJ example that was pretty original but on closer look it was a later 67 or D2 version based on other characteristics IMHO

Hope this helps

Sorry due to the lighting at the time the picture was taken it has a yellow cast in the picture below.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:22:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »
Here's the one from my July 65 Metuchen coupe.  It has FoMoCo and Repco markings.

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »
Thank you for the pics and info Jeff that is very helpful.

mjd 65, thank you as well for that pic.

wonder if the same would have been used in 66 as was used in 65?

Regards,
Russell
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:28:53 PM by AU SNK »
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »
mjd 65, that you as well for that pic.
wonder if the same would have been used in 66 as was used in 65?

There have been tales of NJ using a different supplier at times (which would have been unlike what was done for most parts for that plant) Spotty here and there.  There are also stories of the plastic bottom C4AF-11450-A - REPCO & AUTOLITE marked ones also out of NJ. Because of that and availability I think the 2701966 is likely the one. Sure we will get a few other owners - possibly with late 66's that will offer what they may have found.

mjd 65, while we're at it and so we can gather a little more infromation - would be interesting to hear what the date on the one you have is. That would possibly reduce the chance of that style being used 9 months later unless we can find some dated for a April 66 car

Will see if I have any in my boxes - and provide those dates if available
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:44:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
My feedback mostly centered around the potential variations from the assembly plants and then the introduction of the C6 numbered solenoids.

We had previous discussions about block and script FoMoCo, but I believe that was mainly a 65 production year transition detail.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:32:37 PM »
Jeff, I don't see a date code on mine, but here's a shot showing the plastic bottom with the Repco mark in the center.

Mel

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
I don't think the C4AF solenoids were date coded.  I have a nice one and can't see any dates.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 12:26:11 AM »
Jeff, I don't see a date code on mine, but here's a shot showing the plastic bottom with the Repco mark in the center.

With a plastic bottom style you wouldn't - That is a rare one you have there
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:29:13 AM »
I don't think the C4AF solenoids were date coded.  I have a nice one and can't see any dates.

There are four versions of the C4AF solenoid. Guess We need to look to see which ones do and which ones don't. Don't know how many I've got left but will find the boxes and see what I can see in my collection
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:25:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »
How rare are decent working examples of these solenoids?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
How rare are decent working examples of these solenoids?

Not sure how to represent how rare a part is since my experience seeing or finding one would be different from other persons.

If your equating rare with value - the challenge here is finding someone that would want one since few own cars that it likely originally came on.
Jeff Speegle

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 07:13:51 PM »
I picked up this repro from NPD a few years ago. The FoMoCo and Repco markings are very similar to my original, but the repro has a metal bottom rather than the original's plastic bottom.

Mel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »
I picked up this repro from NPD a few years ago. The FoMoCo and Repco markings are very similar to my original, but the repro has a metal bottom rather than the original's plastic bottom.

Makes sense that the reproduction would be of one of the more commonly found versions. You have C4 with the oval FoMoCo, square FoMoCo, AUTOLITE (all three with the metal bottoms) and the plastic bottom style that I've seen or had

One like yours for sale on EBay right now if your interested in watching - NO connection

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:52:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »
Here is mine, if it helps.
Dec 65 NJ Build.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:15:39 AM by 66RavenGTCoupeAgain »
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build