Author Topic: What is, if there are physical differences between 1967 and 1968 Mustang Doors?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline QikBBStang

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:01:03 PM by QikBBStang »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
If Mustang is the same as a Cougar year for year, the difference has to do with the link rod from the inside door handle, to the door latch. The link rod, is the long rod with cloth wrapping.

1967 has a square hole with a 'finger' bend down inside, to support the link rod. Ford part number for the link rod C7ZZ-6521940-A.
1968 has a recessed hole, and the link rod has a loop attached and connects to the door. Ford part number for the link rod C8ZZ-6521940-A.

There may be other differences in the stamping too.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Also differences in how (where) the armrest & it's hardware attaches.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Absolutely, without question. Interchangeable, but not the same. If they were the same, they would have the same part numbers. They do not.

Offline QikBBStang

I'm really interested in finding/seeing if there is/are physical differences in the interior side of the doors particularly the sheet metal cut-outs normally covered by the door panels between 67-68. Obviously pictures are worth 1,000 words

Offline 67gtasanjose

I'm really interested in finding/seeing if there is/are physical differences in the interior side of the doors particularly the sheet metal cut-outs normally covered by the door panels between 67-68. Obviously pictures are worth 1,000 words

I can provide pictures of the inside areas for 1967's, both standard & deluxe interiors (one each)
Maybe somebody else has 68 examples available or somebody with both 67 & 68 available. Let me know if a 67 might help you. I see nothing in your signature to tell what specifically you are working on or which type you are seeking. on another driver quality rebuild years ago, I switched a 68 Coupe door onto a 67 fastback but needed to switch the door glass (obviously) but also I needed to make provisions for the 67 armrest to fit. I cannot remember the specifics but it wasn't difficult.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:04:05 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Here are some 1968 doors in my shop. I only work on 1968s. I am certain they are originals.

Note: the round, uneven hole in the bottom picture was done for a speaker by a PO.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:50:13 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Another nuance is the way the door skin wraps around the edge of the door body/frame on a 68 compared to a 67.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline QikBBStang

Here we go, pay attention to the shape of the most rear access hole.

Don't know what other things, BUT this is said to be a 1967

Offline QikBBStang

So there being a difference in the last "cut-out" between 67 & 68.  This brings up another question: Can a 67/68 have been manufactured with the wrong doors or perhaps one 1967 and one 1968?
  The reason I ask is I have what every indication shows is a matched "pair" of doors, same very nice condition, same interior of door sealant/colors and identical white on outside w/brown primer showing big time in wear-areas on both doors and finally same interior paint.  both came off the same car. Oddly they show different cut-outs in said rear most location.

Doors certainly don't have the in-your-face front fender/rear fender reflectors of 1968with vs 1967with out.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Compare the armrest mounting holes on your '67 door to Coralsnake's '68 door.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
I would be stunned if a 1967 door was on a 1968 car. The two doors above came off very early 68 NJ cars.

Some could have put a nos red oxide door on the car and color matched it, back in the day. It seems very light on factory sealer for the watershield and the tape usually found behind the door panel.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:52:55 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The reason I ask is I have what every indication shows is a matched "pair" of doors, same very nice condition, same interior of door sealant/colors and identical white on outside w/brown primer showing big time in wear-areas on both doors and finally same interior paint.  both came off the same car. ...........................

Have an easy request that might help shine some light on what took place over the cars life. What is the build date of your car and the stamping dates from the doors?  There will be an inner and outer door date for each of the major sections

They tell me that in some areas door get rust in the bottom edges or corners and its fairly common to change out doors    ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Hi,
Are there any indications to figure out if the doors driver and passenger side (Convertible) are original?
Any differences between 67 and 68 ?

- numbers  stamped? Which?
- ink stamp?

Thx for your feedback.

Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline 67gtasanjose

Search feature results using two words in 1967 1968 area of forum "difference, door" and came up with this thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13653.msg84575#msg84575

FWIW, the empty door shell is same for all three body types, each using different door glass only. (Fastback or coupe fits convertible if glass is changed, vent same on all 3) There are other nuances over the course of the two years but the above thread covers the majority known by most of us.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:41:50 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch