Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.

(1/4) > >>

1967 eight barrel:
As per a couple of the window installation videos on Youtube I used Mustangs to Fear I used 3M 8509 sealer body to the seal and 3M 8609 windo weld urethane between the glass and the rubber. 
Anyway, the molding clips were of piss poor quality and several would not clip to the windshield reveal moldings. a couple actually broke off. My only option was to pull the glass back out.

The good news? I found enough NOS clips to get the job done, I just need to get the urethane off the glass.
Any bestowed knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

CharlesTurner:
The bedding/glazing compound comes off with mineral spirits.  Wear gloves, it makes a mess.

drummingrocks:
Is the urethane already dry/set up?

1967 eight barrel:
Good to know the mineral spirits will take off the bedding and glazing compound. Being the windshield is an original Carlite, I didn't want to use a razor blade to remove the urethane. Yes, most definitely cured. It's out, I was just in the hopes there was a product that would break it down without damage to the glass.

jwc66k:
From my "glass guy", Simon - try 3M Silicon spray on the body and glass. To clean up the clips, use gas (no smoking). Don't use Goof-Off.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version