Author Topic: Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.  (Read 9080 times)

1967 eight barrel

Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:14:47 AM »
As per a couple of the window installation videos on Youtube I used Mustangs to Fear I used 3M 8509 sealer body to the seal and 3M 8609 windo weld urethane between the glass and the rubber. 
Anyway, the molding clips were of piss poor quality and several would not clip to the windshield reveal moldings. a couple actually broke off. My only option was to pull the glass back out.

The good news? I found enough NOS clips to get the job done, I just need to get the urethane off the glass.
Any bestowed knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »
The bedding/glazing compound comes off with mineral spirits.  Wear gloves, it makes a mess.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
Is the urethane already dry/set up?
Too much junk, too little time.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »
Good to know the mineral spirits will take off the bedding and glazing compound. Being the windshield is an original Carlite, I didn't want to use a razor blade to remove the urethane. Yes, most definitely cured. It's out, I was just in the hopes there was a product that would break it down without damage to the glass.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
From my "glass guy", Simon - try 3M Silicon spray on the body and glass. To clean up the clips, use gas (no smoking). Don't use Goof-Off.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »
If you do use silicone, be sure to clean every last molecule from every surface before reassembling/sealing....by design, not much sticks to silicone.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline SamG

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 05:45:56 AM »
I've never had a problem with a new, USA-made single edge razor scratching windshield glass in normal use.  Keep the blades angle down close to the glass.  Swap to a new blade often. 

Mirrors are a different story...no razors on mirror glass.

They do make plastic razor blades for cleaning decals from sensitive glass...might be a little hard to find. 

SamG

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
Have you tried contacting 3M to get their recommendations for removal?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Support/Contact-Us/

P.S. silicone is not just a problem for getting new adhesive to stick to the glass. It will also cause problems when painting (fisheyes). And it migrates easily - in other words, you may use it on car A, but can be transferred to car B by handling parts or incidental contact. If car B is being prepped for paint, well you've got a problem...   In the disk drive industry I formerly worked in, silicone was not allowed ANYWHERE on the production floor, because of its tendency to migrate.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »
Eight Barrel....I am curious as to how you made out with the urethane.  I am about to embark on installing front and rear glass on a 67 coupe.  I too saw the video that recommended the urethane between the rubber and glass and the 8509 between the body and rubber.

Anybody have any experience/recommendations for front/rear glass installation that would like to share?

Thanks in advance.
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline preaction

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »
I followed the CJ's video that used 3m strip chalk for between the glass and the gasket.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
Just personal opinion but I hate that stuff after trying it once - on someone car :(

Now on late model with no gaskets no problem used it many times
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 12:30:13 AM »
Just personal opinion but I hate that stuff after trying it once - on someone car :(

Now on late model with no gaskets no problem used it many times
+1 I also like the strip calk in the glass groove.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »
Strip caulk...I'll have to look at CJs video.  I am going to be doing this in my unheated garage...so I wonder if the strip caulk would be pliable enough...

My father used to install windshields in the 70s at his garage.  Mostly on used trucks that he took in trade.  I remember watching him use the rope method...but I don't recall him using sealer.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
I'm watching the CJ Pony Parts video now, and I don't really understand why they recommend the strip caulk.  From the video, it looks like they're putting it up so far in the channel of the weatherstrip that it's not really doing anything.  What am I missing?

Link to the video:
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
I am not sure why the strip caulk is better than the 8509....less messy? more controlled volume of sealer?  But all of those seams where the strip caulk join each other "seams" (get it) like more of a concern....no?

Maybe the strip caulk would be more likely to stay put and not squish out....making a better water dam.