Author Topic: Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.  (Read 9082 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »
I wouldn't use strip caulk. Too many chances to leak. I used the 8509 between the body and the seal and 8609 window weld between the glass and the seal. Rich from Mustangs to Fear has a great YouTube video of the glass install as well as the moldings. However, Operation Mustang suggests using #12 THHN wire, which I can assure you works MUCH better than rope/twine.   -Keith
 Chris Ingrassia's video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4igX1ZO5as

Rich from Mustangs to fears videos on installation and molding installation.

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »
I came up with a slick trick years ago for Post '68 ('69 and newer) Windshield sealing... Use a bead of the 3M Window Sealer (The Butyl Dum Dum stuff), and then just outside of that use a nice bead of real Urethane.  It will never leak, and the Butyl Dum Dum stuff is there like original plus it keeps the Urethane at bay from oozing in.  Works great!  Try it on your next '69 or newer windshield!...Plus when installed, You never even see the Urethane with the trim pieces installed..  Instead of using one or the other, Use both! It works great! ...While looking all original too!

PS: I've found plain old Gas or Ronson Lighter Fluid works great at a solvent... But once the Urethane is rock hard dry... Not much will take it off.. so be fast..

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:57:44 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001