Author Topic: Engine lift hooks  (Read 1597 times)

Offline 6s1138

Engine lift hooks
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »
On my Jan build 69 Mach 351 engine, What is the correct color for the lift hooks. Were they engine color?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine lift hooks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
IMHO they were painted by the supplier and rarely if ever matched the engine. They were installed at the time the engine was painted (I believe) but only received some overspray at best.

The original color is more green blue IMHO than the engine color

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6s1138

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »
Thanks Jeff , I will make Them so.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
I don't believe the lift hooks were meant to be left on the 351w Shelby engine . Partially because it was a engineering directive (that evidence shows sometimes don't get followed) and partially because they detract from the ornamental look of the engine. From a detail finding concours standpoint they are cool but they do not do anything to enhance the look of a GT350 engine IMHO. They are easy to get to and remove unlike the hidden GT500 versions.It wouldn't take much motivation to remove the GT350 versions. I have seen numerious installed on non Shelby 351w engines.  I at one time advocated installing them but some years ago reevaluated my position given the fact that I have not seen any engine lift hooks installed on any year GT350 that was unmolested . I had to come to the conclusion that a strong effort was imposed to take the engine lift hooks off of the Shelbyized GT350 engine and that any few that slipped through un removed was a anomaly not relevant to what one would see normally in production. I wouldn't want to add something to my engine that I didn't have proof came on it originally unless I was reasonably sure I was showing what one would see in normal production. I would hate to see a feature that wasn't normal production replicated on every car without further study.  Just my opinion. Bob   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby