Author Topic: Degreasers  (Read 3227 times)

Offline rrenz

Degreasers
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »
Curious what kinds of degreasers some people have had good luck with. Im looking to clean up the underside of my car a little. I have a nice film of dirt oil and transmission fluid that has preserved the original red oxide finish to the undercarriage. Id like to de grease but would like to use a product that won't cause a ton of damage to the primer and any other paint or markings that may still be underneath all the crud on my 66 coupe.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Degreasers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
I've used gasoline and a rag in a well-ventilated area to remove grease, grime, and dealer-applied undercoating.  Just dip the rag in the gas and start rubbing.  It doesn't affect paint so long as you do not have the painted part immersed in the gas for extended periods of time.  I don't know how gas will affect markings, however. 

There are wax/grease removing solvents for prepping sheet metal just prior to painting, but don't know how well they work for built-up grime.  I have used it on exterior paint when I found road tar.  It removed it quite easily. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »
Ditto the gasoline degrease.  I use  kitchen heavy duty scrub sponges.  You know green scruber one side and yellow sponge on the other. Ventilated area and no smoking. Works great.  Brian
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:24:42 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
I use kerosene or diesel fuel . The same cautions as gasoline apply.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
+1 on all comments with the added precaution of wearing protective gloves and glasses.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
I cleaned a very dirty, greasy 68 fastback underside with gasoline.  Took about two weeks it was so dirty, but it came out immaculate.  Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »
I use kerosene or diesel fuel . The same cautions as gasoline apply.
Diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, and I don't know where I can find a few gallons of kerosene; I suspect it is also more expensive than the local corner station.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline tobkob

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »
Diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, and I don't know where I can find a few gallons of kerosene; I suspect it is also more expensive than the local corner station.
Kerosene is around $5.00 per gallon in N. GA while gas is around $1.75. The K1 kerosene sold today is different than was used back when. It doesn't clean nearly as well as it used to. Back several years ago when we would bust a knuckle or cut our hand working on cars the 1st thing we would do was to plunge our hand in kerosene. The cut would heal in no time flat.
TOB
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:43:02 PM by tobkob »
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:01:29 AM »
I've used gasoline and a rag in a well-ventilated area to remove grease, grime, and dealer-applied undercoating............

Remember on a fire call one time I went on. Guy was cleaning parts using gasoline and it was getting dark so he went inside and set the pan on top of the kitchen stove and turned on the light over the stove so he could see what he was doing. He had opened up the kitchen windows for ventilation but wasn't enough. When it went off the windows were in the tree in the front yard and he was in the garage  but didn't have time to open up the door  ::) as he went through the wall. Lucky guy there was a refrigerator on that wall   :o

Never used the stuff for degreasing though I've done my fair share of risky behaviours

For cleaning out wonderful floor pans out here of it takes more than a little hot water, a soft rag (don't want to scratch the original paint up)  and some detergent then wax and grease remover with the car out side has worked for me. Then pass over it with some  light buffing compound to lightly remove any oxidized layer on the factory paint- primer/sealer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:04:09 PM »
Well i tried a handful of cleaners. Mostly gunk and some POR marine clean.may try the gasoline on the rear end and for some final detailing. however had Fairly good results. Just trying to clean it up a little yet still be able to drive it without fear of dirt.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline KevinK

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »
Rather than spending days or weeks with some degreaser, I took my car down to the local engine steam cleaner. It took about an hour and removed 95-98% of the dirt and grease. Some areas were surprising and others not do much. The rear end was pretty much bare and the floors showed red primer with drips. I have not gotten under it to look closely but got a few pictures. San Jose 67 late production.

I did notice the runs in the red primer over top the body color? As if the transmission tunnel was painter later.

The steam pretty much wrinkled the rattle can paint job if the engine compartment.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 12:09:01 AM »
Thanks  for sharing

Rather than spending days or weeks with some degreaser, I took my car down to the local engine steam cleaner. It took about an hour and removed 95-98% of the dirt and grease. Some areas were surprising and others not do much. The rear end was pretty much bare and the floors showed red primer with drips. I have not gotten under it to look closely but got a few pictures. San Jose 67 late production.

I did notice the runs in the red primer over top the body color? ..............

Looks like what I've seen when the overspray has been cleaned or wiped off of the top surface of the runs (raised surfaces)

Looks very solid .
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)