Author Topic: Has anyone seen markings like this before; what does it mean?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline rackerm

As I tore apart my 73 convertible, I found a large # 3 9 written in what looks like soap stone on the back of the rear seat body panel (see picture). It was only visible when I removed the roof frame and vinyl well liner. Looks like it may have been put there during production. I have the Loise Eminger invoice and the car was sold in mid June of 1973 by Ford Marketing to Ford Marketing to a person identified by name on the invoice "H. Hartman", essentially an inter-company sale.

Has anyone seen markings like this before and knows what it means?

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Has anyone seen markings like this before; what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 05:39:13 AM »
Haven't seen that exact mark on a 73 but would guess its one of the two rotation numbers. Do you have a picture of the buck tag or buildsheet? That would confirm it

Also - Welcome to the site Hope you find what your looking for related to your concours/original efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:05:07 PM »
Thanks Jeff for your reply. Unfortunately the build was stuck to the carpet underlayment and is almost completely illegible, the rotation number area is completely gone. I am still trying to piece together what it was from the build sheets of other similar cars. I have the buck tag, picture attached. Maybe you will see a connection.

Well doesn't look like a match with the first rotation number. Since the buildsheet is gone then it may have been placed/still may be there on the back side of a door panel, heater box, gauge cluster, dash pad, radiator support .... that's all I can think of in this moment

Also there was more than one buildsheet made for each car so there may be multiples in your car Check the seats if you haven't already also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rackerm

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:49:03 AM »
Thanks again Jeff. I have been through the car with no luck finding any other clues or buildsheets.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:05:34 AM by rackerm »

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
Thanks again Jeff. I have been through the car with no luck finding any other clues or buildsheets.

Keep an eye out for similar numbers written on other parts.  I found my rotation number (matching the number on the build sheet) written on the inside of one of my door panels, as well as on a piece of paper tucked up under the dash.  There have also been pics posted of the rotation number on the front frame cross member under the radiator support, as well as on the left / right sides of the radiator support.

Good luck!
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline rackerm

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 01:32:32 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  The drivers door is original, as is the trunk lid, but the front fenders, hood and pass door have been replaced before I owned the car. I'll keep looking.