Author Topic: Backup Lamp Lens Observations, 64-1/2 through 69  (Read 1244 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Backup Lamp Lens Observations, 64-1/2 through 69
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
I have noticed a difference in my 67's original (read as assemblyline version from a 67 S.J.) and replacement, Service Replacement  (read as New Old Stock Ford) and current reproduction FoMoCo, oval logo lenses. As typical, my observations see the reproduction versions closely resemble the Service Replacements.

Take note of the images below, assemblyline version from my 67 S.J. (cloudy lens) has the rectangular boss around the screw hole while the reproduction version (clear lens) you cannot hardly notice anything more than a round boss around the screw hole.

Has anyone else picked up on this nuance for other 64-1/2 thru 69 when Ford switched over to the thicker lens?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:21:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Backup Lamp Lens Observations, 64-1/2 through 69
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:46:34 PM »
I have noticed a difference in my 67's original (read as assemblyline version from a 67 S.J.) and replacement, Service Replacement  (read as New Old Stock Ford) and current reproduction FoMoCo, oval logo lenses. As typical, my observations see the reproduction versions closely resemble the Service Replacements.

Take note of the images below, assemblyline version from my 67 S.J. (cloudy lens) has the rectangular boss around the screw hole while the reproduction version (clear lens) you cannot hardly notice anything more than a round boss around the screw hole.

Has anyone else picked up on this nuance for other 64-1/2 thru 69 when Ford switched over to the thicker lens?
I think there needs to be more of a cross section of the lens before a conclusion is arrived at. There may be another reason besides -service vs assemblyline. Not that a conclusion like that is out of the ordinary based on other item observations . For instance this interesting subject had me go to a box of unrestored original 67-69 back up lights and on the first two 67/68 style I picked up there was one of each style you show. At least one of the lens looked more like the repro picture. My first thought is that it may be a vendor difference. When i picked up a third  69 light there is a 69 in place of the 64.  I am not sure when I can devote the time to going through the rest of the box ,clean lens ,take pictures etc. for this discussion because I have a busy week. I just wanted to comment before a conclusion is arrived at . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Backup Lamp Lens Observations, 64-1/2 through 69
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »
any other observations?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments