Author Topic: Universal gas cap to attach vent hose? Storing car in Car Jacket  (Read 2948 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Universal gas cap to attach vent hose? Storing car in Car Jacket
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »
I have a car I keep in a Car Jacket.  The whole car gets zipped up with desiccant bags thrown inside.  The only problem is the gas smell when unzipping the cover off the car after it's been in there a while.  Does anyone know of a gas cap, like a universal type that I could drill a hole in the middle to attach a vent hose?  I tried drilling out an old pitted gas cap and it came apart in the middle.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Universal gas cap to attach vent hose? Storing car in Car Jacket
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:40:49 PM »
Look for a universal unvented truck style gas cap - like what was used under the Ford replacement pop-open gas caps for 67-69 Drill it out, put in a fitting and it should work for what your doing

Something like a Stant 10632 made for a 70 with Calif emissions

Haven't tried it but should work. Doesn't cost much to try
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:46:40 PM »
Thanks, will give it a try.  $10 definitely cheap enough to find out!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 12:50:42 AM »
Now you just need to figure out something to use to seal the fitting to the cap that the fuel will not attack over time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »
I have a car I keep in a Car Jacket.  The whole car gets zipped up with desiccant bags thrown inside.  The only problem is the gas smell when unzipping the cover off the car after it's been in there a while.  Does anyone know of a gas cap, like a universal type that I could drill a hole in the middle to attach a vent hose?  I tried drilling out an old pitted gas cap and it came apart in the middle.
How about putting on a unvented cap temporarily in place of the factory cap while zipped up in the bag.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »
How about putting on a unvented cap temporarily in place of the factory cap while zipped up in the bag.

The car is normally stored in an insulated enclosed trailer, so I don't think it would be safe to do that.  The one that Jeff recommended is actually an unvented cap, but I plan to drill a hole that I can attach a small rubber hose to run through the bag.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
The CA smog check equipment uses a test cap to test the evap system.  Something like that would work and I'm sure many of the caps are universal.  Let me know if you need a supplier and I can check with my smog guy.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 01:30:32 AM »
The car is normally stored in an insulated enclosed trailer, so I don't think it would be safe to do that.  The one that Jeff recommended is actually an unvented cap, but I plan to drill a hole that I can attach a small rubber hose to run through the bag.
Putting a non vented cap on the car while in the bag is no more dangerous then a vented cap on the car sealed in a typically non vented bag  ;) . Thousands in use even in summer conditions and have not heard of any incident.  Typically people myself included haven't had  a issue with gas smells like you described inside the zipped up bag. Be sure to use a fuel stabilizer because it sounds like something is happening to the fuel to cause such a problem when many people using the bags don't have a problem like you describe. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
It is probably due to air ENTERING the system presurized by the Fan Motor for the bag. 

Rather than PLUG to prevent, rather than PUT A HOSE to vent......why not close the source????   Air Temp valve in air cleaner, charcoal canister hoses or air cleaner filter vent.

Not sure what car this is but depending on that pretty easy to FIND the source working back from the fuel vent line on the tank.

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
It is probably due to air ENTERING the system presurized by the Fan Motor for the bag. 

Rather than PLUG to prevent, rather than PUT A HOSE to vent......why not close the source????   Air Temp valve in air cleaner, charcoal canister hoses or air cleaner filter vent.

Not sure what car this is but depending on that pretty easy to FIND the source working back from the fuel vent line on the tank.

Mark
FYI car jacket brand storage bag does not use a fan motor for the bag. It is a zip up bag with dissident packages or canisters sealed in the bag to absorb moisture. I think you are thinking of the display type storage clear bags and the way I understand it the motor is used to pressurize the clear bag to keep it inflated for display /storage purposes .  The air passes through the inflated bag and exists a check valve .It dissipates moisture that way also. That type would dissipate any fumes with the air movement.  It needs to be plugged into a outlet to work . The car jacket type doesn't .     

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:03:34 AM »
Yes, just a zip-up bag.  I bought a universal cap, but it was too small.  Have not had a chance to look again.