Author Topic: '94 Pace Car #161  (Read 477 times)

Offline callahan2011

'94 Pace Car #161
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:42:58 PM »
I just joined the forum and really like what I've seen so far! I recently acquired #161 '94 Indy 500 Pace Car and I would like some opinions on what direction to go with the car. It has super high miles (183k) but is in exceptionally good shape for a car with that many miles and is still all numbers matching! It spent it's life until a few months ago in CA and has now made its way to me in CT. It does need some attention to be a perfect car. This is an investment car for me and I plan to sell it when I'm done restoring it. My dilemma is this...do I completely strip the car and do a full ground up rotisserie restoration and hunt down all NOS parts and make it showroom original, rebuild the motor and trans, etc...Or do I clean it up really nice, fix only what it needs, and give it a nice fresh clean paint job? The car currently runs and drives absolutely mint! A full ground up MAY turn into close to or more than the car is worth. I want the opinions of the experts on this, any constructive input would be greatly appreciated! I see some super low mileage examples on eBay for around $20k give or take. What do you think a high mileage, but great condition example might be worth. I know theses aren't as collectible as some people thought they'd be. I'm not looking for people to tell me it's not worth anything, I'm just looking for opinions on what I should do with the car and what its estimated these cars are actually worth.
Thanks for reading! I look forward to your responses and to being part of the forum.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '94 Pace Car #161
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:39 AM »
Welcome to the site. Hope what we do here fits your concours related needs and efforts.

Glad to have you here
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »
By the way you have described the car I would Restore the car with suds and a sponge with the mindset of preservation.

Personally, mileage means nothing on a original unrestored car...unless it's extremely low.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline callahan2011

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
Thanks for the input GD64. When I picked up the car 2 weeks ago I had in my head full rotisserie restoration. The more I think about it and study the car the more I'm leaning toward maintaining as much originality as I can, changing only what's necessary like the the worn seat upholstery and steering wheel, giving the body a nice clean paint job (I'm a body man/painter) putting the decal kit on and having a nice, clean, mostly original car. The only things that are not currently original are the radio, the driver's door, and it's got a Flowmaster cat-back system. The top is even in exceptionally great shape for a car this old with this many miles!
Here's a few pics:

Offline callahan2011

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
So I think I've decided to do a thorough go through on this car vs. a full resto. It almost seems a shame to tear apart an original car that's as clean as this one. That being said the plan as of right now is to clean and detail the engine bay top to bottom, clean and detail the underside of the car, reupholster and replace the foam in the seats, and do a complete paint job since there's not a panel on the car that doesn't require some kind of attention. I also plan to refinish the wheels because the clear coat is peeling off of them. I have an NOS decal kit for the car that I will install after the repaint for authenticity.