Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Starter Detailing, Original Band Gasket Cardboard Material

(1/13) > >>

67gtasanjose:
I am rebuilding an otherwise good starter and looking for the paper cardboard gasket under the strap or band. I assume this is not a "special" material so I wondererd if people are simply making their own or if maybe a reproduction version would be more ideal (if available).

jwc66k:
Richard,
Having designed, built prototypes and tested electronic components in a previous life, I would say that at the least, the "cardboard material" is most likely a special paper covered with an insulating varnish. The "special" part of the paper may include insulating properties and it may have a specific thickness requirement. It cost me $80 to have the 50 year old starter rebuilt for my 66 GT Fastback two months ago. The guy that actually did the work was almost as old as I am so we hit it off well. It was not a concourse restoration as the housing was painted and the Bendix spring cover and brush cover band were not replated. I would recommend you find a local alternator/starter/automotive electric shop and get some assistance.
Jim

CharlesTurner:
I found that to be a simple thin paper gasket.  You can buy rolls of paper gasket material from an auto parts store and make one.

specialed:
its a thick brown paper like but durable tape of some sort as I found something but is black  & the brown tape I found was too thin.  Most restorers miss this detail under the starter band & I think it was used to help seal outwater from inside starter.  I am having some autolite starters rebuilt now by a guy who been doing it in his shop last 40years. 

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on September 07, 2016, 11:44:48 AM ---Richard,
Having designed, built prototypes and tested electronic components in a previous life, I would say that at the least, the "cardboard material" is most likely a special paper covered with an insulating varnish. The "special" part of the paper may include insulating properties and it may have a specific thickness requirement. It cost me $80 to have the 50 year old starter rebuilt for my 66 GT Fastback two months ago. The guy that actually did the work was almost as old as I am so we hit it off well. It was not a concourse restoration as the housing was painted and the Bendix spring cover and brush cover band were not replated. I would recommend you find a local alternator/starter/automotive electric shop and get some assistance.
Jim

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jim, I understand clearly the "engineering standpoint" of the paper (cardboard) gasket.  I can appreciate the nature of what Ford wanted in there.

FWIW, an $80 rebuild isn't really out of the question either but I do want mine rebuilt, not "exchanged".

I have rebuilt starters too on many occasions and haven't yet ever had too many issues with their performance, even after per-say the brushes shorted out. I usually turn down the armature and replace or lube the bushings as needed and 99% of the time they get a new drive gear. I am leaning towards doing this myself at this time mostly because the closest starter shop to me closed over 15 years ago now and there really isn't anything except cosmetic issues with this one I have.

Thanks for other inputs to this topic too. I figure it isn't likely that this starter will ever see water or snow exposure so I am inclined to just make my own (unless a good source is known or revealed before it goes on the engine)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version