Author Topic: 65 Radiator Support Markings  (Read 1433 times)

Offline 1965 t5

65 Radiator Support Markings
« on: October 03, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Hi all - I know this topic has been discussed a lot but my question is relative to what is actually supposed to be visible on the panel.  Most of the lettering/ codes were under the paint.  Is it worth duplicating those codes if you're just going to paint over it?  Can you see the grease pen detail through the paint if properly done?  Also, are there codes over the paint on that panel or on the x-brace underneath the radiator panel?  Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 Radiator Support Markings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
Hi all - I know this topic has been discussed a lot but my question is relative to what is actually supposed to be visible on the panel.  Most of the lettering/ codes were under the paint.  Is it worth duplicating those codes if you're just going to paint over it?  Can you see the grease pen detail through the paint if properly done?  Also, are there codes over the paint on that panel or on the x-brace underneath the radiator panel?  Thanks!
The lettering is typically not visible under the paint. Is it worth doing? That is a personal decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
Thank you for that reply.  Is there any lettering that should be visible on that panel or the lower x-member on front of frame?

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 10:25:25 PM »
Probably depends on the plant and if you found any on your car originally. General concours advice is if you didn't find it on your car, don't just add to your car what you see on other cars. I don't think there are any standard marking found on all cars....
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »
Probably depends on the plant and if you found any on your car originally. ............

+1 All depends on the plant and year your asking about. There were IMHO marks that were pretty standard and those that likely were only placed on a specific car. These only become apparently after looking at allot of cars. 

As often stated on this site, your original unrestored car is the best source for any marking or detail (honestly compared to acknowledged common practices of the time) if those are missing, replaced or gone we can only offer an educated guess based on available details
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)