Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 - Distributor  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Lex

70 Boss 302 - Distributor
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
Hey Guys

My rocket is a late 70 Dearborn car. I am original owner.
Canned the stock distributor long ago and have used multiple systems since...Got an urge a while back to locate another stock unit in case I wanted to pursue a more stock appearing under hood...To the point. I picked up a NOS unit and just laid it aside. Bug got me again this week and began to scope it out further. It is a for a 69 Boss with a build date code of 9c13. Where I am having a question is the attached vacuum advance unit. It is not an X12 unit but a HP6. Because this seems to be a very early deal what is the likelihood that this HP6 unit was actually used. My concern is I may want to enter into a deal for a late '70 unit to more closely associate with my car and I want to have clear understanding of what I now have....
Thoughts?

Lex
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:52:10 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Distributor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »
Lex,
Let's start from the top, Boss what? You did say year and plant, but those coded numbers for diaphragms are not like any I've see. More info is needed. I've got the Ford service part numbers for diaphragms available, but that's about it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
I thought Boss 302 distributors only used the X12 in both '69 & '70 - but no expert.  I can say that the HP6 is correct for 4-speed '69 Cobra Jet.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Lex

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
Sorry for the discrepancy....Boss 302  July 1970 build Please note this piece is not associated with my car. It is a piece I picked up to potentially make my deal more complete.

Lex
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:49:55 PM by Lex »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Yes first post was a little difficult to read through and figure out exactly what you were thinking of doing :)

............. It is a for a 69 Boss with a build date code of 9c13.

Lex are you sure of that build date?  Is it from a Marti report or somewhere else?

Where I am having a question is the attached vacuum advance unit. It is not an X12 unit but a HP6. Because this seems to be a very early deal what is the likelihood that this HP6 unit was actually used. ..................

Based on what? " is the likelihood that this HP6 unit was actually used. " Why would it be any different from others?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Lex

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 10:53:19 PM »
Attached is a pic of the info associated with this piece. My question is: Did these early units  have this HP6 advance unit as opposed to the general info of Boss 302 advance units were x12

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
Attached is a pic of the info associated with this piece. My question is: Did these early units  have this HP6 advance unit as opposed to the general info of Boss 302 advance units were x12

OK now I understand that the date you posted was for the dist not for the car - way too early for a car and the reason I asked.

Looks like they did a group of the dist on that date (have pictures of three others stamped/made with 9C13)

My Boss (built within the first week came with the X12 from every indication I have. Didn't purchase the car new but it has approx 30K miles though the original engine had the piston issues like many :(

Car isn't at home this moment so can't check the dist date for you but think it could or should possibly be stamped with the 9C13 date also
Jeff Speegle

Offline Lex

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
My only interest in a conclusion to this I may want to trade this deal for a like DOZF unit with build date closer to my car. I would not want to move this to someone with a totally incorrect advance unit on it but it would be neat if this thing is early enough to precede the widespread use of the X12....

Lex

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 11:16:54 PM »
My only interest in a conclusion to this I may want to trade this deal for a like DOZF unit with build date closer to my car. I would not want to move this to someone with a totally incorrect advance unit on it but it would be neat if this thing is early enough to precede the widespread use of the X12....

Not aware of any period when the Boss 302 dist was typically built with an advance other than the X12
Jeff Speegle

Offline Sean C. Gearty

• 1969 San Jose GT
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
+1 to Rockhouse66 reply, the HP6 stamped vacuum advance is found on 428 CJ cars with 4spd transmissions.... as I have one on my August 1968 Cobra Jet 4spd Distributor.

I own an original owner 1969 mustang boss with the original dated 8K (October 1968) distributor and the original vacuum advance is a X12.
         =note the X12 vacuum advance was available on Autolite distributors prior to the 9C13 (March 1969) date code on your B2 distributer.

Hope this helps.

Offline TUMBLEPORT SVT

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »
HP 6 is a factory installed 428 Cobra Jet advance unit. Single point unit so it is not the wide dual point unit your B302 needs.