Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Valve stem extensions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?

(1/7) > >>

CharlesTurner:
I thought any 1st generation car that had wheel covers shipped in the trunk from the assembly plant came with valve stem extensions in a paper envelope.  Recently was deducted for this at MCA show on the 64.5 Pace Car I restored, thought it was relatively common knowledge.

Thoughts?

Murf:
I was of the same opinion.  I have always found that  original 65-66 mustangs had 1 1/4 inch valve stems and that if wire wheel covers were factory specified with a particular car then an extension was used to facilitate putting air in the tire. Just one persons thoughts. 

Richard P.:
I don't think the wheel covers on that car were of the wire type . If I recall correctly they were standard wheel covers. I believe that the original extensions from Ford had a Silver Aluminum Center. The ones that I saw on that car appeared to have a white center. BTW my phone # is on the judging sheet if you'd like to call. I didn't realize that this car belonged to you. I hope I'm speaking with the owner.

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: Richard P. on October 20, 2016, 10:06:30 PM ---I don't think the wheel covers on that car were of the wire type . If I recall correctly they were standard wheel covers. I believe that the original extensions from Ford had a Silver Aluminum Center. The ones that I saw on that car appeared to have a white center. BTW my phone # is on the judging sheet if you'd like to call. I didn't realize that this car belonged to you. I hope I'm speaking with the owner.

--- End quote ---

I restored the car, you know that good and well.  I'm curious about what others have seen here, I thought maybe I was wrong.  Stephan owns the car, I don't see why it's necessary for him to call you from Germany.  I maintain this car for him here in the US.

Mike Murray's convertible does not have wires and has the extensions.  B. Perkins said he has a box of wheel covers that came in the trunk of one of his cars, had the extensions in an envelope.

The extensions on the car have metal centers, they were NOS in FoMoCo packaging.

outlawincorporated:
Charles.

From memory B Perkins black 52 mile coupe has wire wheel covers and a FOMOCO box in the trunk with valve extensions, cant tell you what style or length they where as the package was still sealed.
He did explain to me the theory behind why they where necessary!!!!

image attached and you can see the small valve extension on the spare

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version