Author Topic: Valve stem extensions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?  (Read 8201 times)

Offline Richard P.

Re: Valve stem extensions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Thanks Scott.  This might be a good item to get in the MCA rulebook so the same mistake in deducting points is not made in the future.

Appreciate everyone's response!
Charles I was aware of the information in my books my prior to your response and decided to respond after there was talk of putting this in our rules. I've been around a while with MCA and have seen information put in our rules that wasn't correct that had to be revised the next year. Example we once had a rule that 1965 Mustangs with AM Radio had the first number on the face starting with six (6) and 1966 Mustangs with AM radios had the first letter starting with five (5) and 1965 Mustangs had a battery apron shield. I'd hate to see that happen again. We are all human being and as such we make mistakes. You judged my car in Grovetown, GA. sometime back and there was 3 points deducted that I know were in fact correct. I'm going to address one. My car is shown in Concourse Driven B CLASS 813. Their was a 0ne point deduction for "rear brake bleeder to big" at the bottom of the undercarriage paragraph is the wording "Driven Exception: Wheel cylinders with larger bleeders screws acceptable" As I mentioned earlier we are all human and make mistakes. You were able to look at my bleeders and make a determination that they were of the large type as opposed to the small. If you can do that isn't it possible that a person can look at the 3/4" and make the same determination. I'm not a anal person but, if I wanted to check the car I'm judging I'd simply put a 3/4" extension in my pocket and compare with the car that I'm judging. You mention that we should give the car a 3/4" a pass but what about the guy who purchases the long 1-1/4" valve extension for the wire wheel covers that are also incorrect? I didn't come here and whine and complain as those three point didn't affect the out come of the award that I was trying to achieve. I was very happy that my car could take the deductions and still get a Gold award. Charles you have done a lot for our hobby and I commend you. NPD and all of the other parts suppliers spend a lot of time R&D) and money trying to get things correct and for that I'm grateful. NPD has some of the best parts around 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:09:54 PM by Richard P. »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
This topic was started with the only intention being to learn and educate.  I was very careful not to call out anyone specifically as I definitely did not want it to appear as 'complaining'.  I very much respect all the volunteer work judges in the many organizations put in.

As we learn new details, it is imperative that they be documented in the judging rules.  I would suggest that the information discussed in this topic is worthy of an addition to the MCA rule book, but it does have to be properly worded as previously mentioned.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 02:09:11 AM »
So looks like the rules were updated to include the valve extensions, my questions is should there be 4 or 5, does the spare tire get an extension?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 02:19:19 AM »
The spare gets a regular valve stem cap.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »

I had always wondered about this.. Interesting subject.  Both my '65 and '66 Convertibles originally came with Wire Wheel hubcaps.  I just always used 2" Valve Stems and Dill caps on both my cars with no issues.  I'll have to pick up a few sets of the extensions..  I had one metal ball extensions set, but I never thought that they were original... Now I know when I come across them next time in my garage wherever I stashed them..

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001