Author Topic: Scuff Plates ~ 65-68, Original vs. Service Replacements and. Aftermarket  (Read 5671 times)

Offline 67gta289

Re: Scuff Plates ~ 65-68, Original vs. Service Replacements and. Aftermarket
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
Well said.  I've been noticing that the term is now used so loosely that some on eBay will list something like "NOS Ford Mustang tie rod ends in original Moog box".  Taking each word, I'm sure the tie rod is "new", and it might be from the 1980's which my kids would consider "old stock".  But that is not NOS to most of us.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »
Still, I am amazed at the prices these more recently produced Ford parts fetch. (Even if it was made yesterday) ;)

Because, unfortunately, even the latter Ford replacement parts are superior quality to the best reproduction.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
I have seen some folks use the term NORS, for New Old Recent Stock.

An observation that I have seen on 1968 sill plates, is a large Blue Oval Ford on the plate. The emblem on the plate is a size or two bigger than 1969 and the reproduction plates.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
... wondering if there was a known difference from the later production Ford "Service Replacement" runs of this particular item.

This is the basic interest of this thread, that and noting the differences found in any later reproductions on the market.

...not trying so much to define the terminology "NOS" (though it is a good discussion)

I began the thread "TITLED" correctly and simply went off track when I identified the three samples I had on hand (in photos and in text) Most of that mess has been cleaned up now.

An observation that I have seen on 1968 sill plates, is a large Blue Oval Ford on the plate. The emblem on the plate is a size or two bigger than 1969 and the reproduction plates.

Thank you Scott for noting a difference on originals that many may NOT be aware of. That gets things going again in the right direction ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:04:07 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
Thought about responding to the NOS definition question posed right away but choose to leave it to others and glad I did. Knew that most of the members have experienced the down side of how widely the term is used (like the term "restored")  and the differences in what you get and would express their views and how it has affected them in their buying and researching of correct parts for their projects .

Thanks to all that have responded ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)