Author Topic: Wiper Transmission Arm  (Read 2029 times)

Offline asusnz

Wiper Transmission Arm
« on: November 12, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
What is the original finish/color of the wiper transmission arm assembly?

I have seen on 3 cars (2x 71, 1x 72) these have been painted satin black so I assumed that was it. However yesterday I sandblasted two original sets for restoration and noticed a golden zinc/cadmium finish under the paint. This finish was on the two parts that the three screws that mount the assembly to the cowl (if that makes sense!) so not sure if the entire assembly was that way. Wondering if anyone knows the original finish?

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Wiper Transmission Arm
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Well you found Concours Mustang - Welcome.    (Didn't see an intro - but we see MANY from Boss302 etc etc)

You will find many of the same members here and those that take the time to help/answer and put EFFORT into what you are asking.

I'm considering putting on a coat and getting that box down - as I have to sort my Boss 351 parts for this build.     Give me a day - I knowyou have been working on your car for a couple of years. 

Mark
P.S.  Really wasn't getting to that area yet as I have to stage what needes to be dipped, platted in the winter so summer is easier to DIP PAINT.   (takes me about 9 years to do a car)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »
LOOK at my first set ( we should look at a few) it seems the apperatous is verious metals, finishes etc etc.

FIRST let me say that "the black out treatment to the cowl" does put a black pattern on the arms MORE on one side than the other.   This maybe what you are seeing.

The arms are natural (may have a phosphate protection) as AIR RUST is visable where mositure collects in the cowl.   On both sets I am looking at the BLACK seems to be on top edge of the short arm (as that almost vertical when in the car) but on the flat surface of the long arm as that is turned.

BOTH only seem to have it where the cowl openings are -which makes sense.

Mark
P.S.  I am also interested in the pattern IN THE COWL.   (mix of primer and black out)   We know coverage in these areas didn't get attention.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
What is the original finish/color of the wiper transmission arm assembly?

I have seen on 3 cars (2x 71, 1x 72) these have been painted satin black so I assumed that was it. However yesterday I sandblasted two original sets for restoration and noticed a golden zinc/cadmium finish under the paint. This finish was on the two parts that the three screws that mount the assembly to the cowl (if that makes sense!) so not sure if the entire assembly was that way. Wondering if anyone knows the original finish?

First welcome to the site - hope you find the knowledge, help and guidance for your concours related needs

Not sure if your asking about the wiper transmission or pivot point for the wiper (not sure of the official name or the arms that connect those to the motor.

Can't recall if the arms are a steel product (don't have one handy to touch a magnet to but have always found them to be a dusty silver color. But under the end insulator would likely be the best, protected surface to provide the original finish

The pivots were a bare non-ferrous metal like pot metal from my recall and pictures. Not the greatest - seems we don't spend allot of time taking pictures of this somewhat hidden away area of the cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:25:16 AM »

Can't recall if the arms are a steel product (don't have one handy to touch a magnet to but have always found them to be a dusty silver color. But under the end insulator would likely be the best, protected surface to provide the original finish      Just confirmed they are steel (they are LIGHT but the stamping curve helps with strength)  Just as there is "black out" on areas exposed in the park location .........I found ARGENT (in my case) on the outer passenger side on an original set.   

The pivots were a bare non-ferrous metal like pot metal from my recall and pictures. Not the greatest - seems we don't spend allot of time taking pictures of this somewhat hidden away area of the cars   Yes Pot metal for the wiper wheel houses with no overspray or body color it seems

Offline asusnz

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
Appreciate the welcome I have used this site many times and have found it a useful guide. I recognize some of you from other forums.
I restored my 71 Mach 1 several years back now it's my 71 Boss getting the treatment. Once that's completed a 72 Vert will be next. I've definitely become addicted to the 71-73 Mustang for sure :)

The wiper transmission/arm mechanism is probably not the most detailed part out there but since I've stripped two sets down why not make the extra effort to restore them back as close to original.
Mark - what your saying makes sense with one of the sets I've got. It appears that the the arms were zinc plated on the inside, some black paint was applied on the side that you see looking through the cowl vents and the two triangular bracket mounts (these attach with thee screws to the cowl) these were gold zinc plated. Over the years any attention to restoring these was probably a quick coat of black paint all over which for the most part would do the trick! I also have a repro set of these transmission arms and these are silver zinc plated entirely.

Appreciate the comments.