Author Topic: Evaporust Thermocure Cooling System Flush Review  (Read 4545 times)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
Evaporust Thermocure Cooling System Flush Review
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:00:57 AM »
Review of Evaporust Thermocure Cooling System Flush by average Joes...

I'm in no way being compensated for this review.  When I see a good product, I want others to know about it.

I flushed out some rusty antifreeze from a 66, 289 V8 cooling system for a friend.  There was not an overheating problem but the coolant was rusty as heck!

I've used Evaporust to remove rust on metal with excellent results.  I heard about a product by the same folks called Thermocure that's used for flushing rust out of cooling systems.  My friend bought a bottle of a brand name radiator flush at the local auto parts store but for my own selfish reasons, I convinced him to try Thermocure (I wanted to see if this stuff was any good.).  He bought 2 quarts online ($21.99  a quart).  2 quarts of Thermocure treats a cooling system with up to a 16 quart capacity.  The cooling system on my friends 66 Mustang is 14.5 quarts. 

I told him to buy one of those flush kits that hook into the heater hose.  We did a temporarily hook up of the flush tee to the top heater hose (picture below).  I had an inline RV water filter so I hooked that up to the garden hose that was connected to the flush tee.  Below are the steps we followed.

• Warmed up engine and drained out the old rusty coolant.
  • Let engine cool a bit then flushed cooling system from tee until the water ran clear.
  • Drained the cooling system from radiator petcock.  A little more than 2 gallons drained out.  We did not remove the drain plugs on the engine block during the entire procedure.
  • Added 2 quarts of Thermocure and topped off with filtered water from the garden hose.
  • Over the course of 2 days, ran the engine for a total of 4 hours.  2.5 hours varying between idle and fast idle and 1.5 hours of driving at various speeds.
  • Flushed cooling system using filtered tap water from garden hose for an hour and a half.  We put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to get the temperature up so the thermostat would open.
  • Drained cooling system from radiator petcock (about 2 gallons) and filled with distilled water.  Ran engine at fast idle for about 20 minutes and drained from radiator petcock.  Repeated this procedure 3 more times.  Used a total of 8 gallons of distilled water.
  • Drained Radiator and put in 2 gallons of antifreeze and topped off with distilled water.

In my opinion the results were amazing!  This stuff works really well.  I would have left the Thermocure in another day or two but our schedules would not allow for us to do this.  The first set of pictures show the coolant fluids that were drained from the radiator at different steps in the process.  The second photo shows the fluids after they sat for about 2 weeks in the sample jars.  All samples were taken from the radiator petcock.

First jar is the coolant before flushing.

Second jar is the Thermocure treated water.  I have to say, that after the 2 week rest period almost all of the particulate stayed in suspension.

Third jar is after the 1 and a half hour filtered water flush from tee.

Forth jar is coolant after completing flushing process and adding fresh coolant.  The sample was taken after about a month and 4 hours of driving.

Conclusion:  This stuff works great for removing rust from the cooling system.  I definitely recommend it.  Hands down this stuff blows the doors of the auto store cooling system flush.  It’s worth a few extra bucks to get the job done right.  Two thumbs up!  Great product!

65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
Re: Evaporust Thermocure Cooling System Flush Review
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
BTW, I know that we should have pulled the block drain plugs.  I told my friend that pulling those drain plugs is the best way to get as much of the gunk out as possible.  He was not having any overheating problems, so he said he was okay with skipping that process.  By looking at the waste Thermocure solution it looks like it dissolves rust and keeps it in suspension.  It'll be interesting to see the state of the coolant months down the road.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:38:16 PM by markb0729 »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
Thanks for the write up.  I agree that the block plugs should have been pulled, probably lots of debris in there.

Would recommend going with Evans water-less coolant after something like this, would help minimize any internal corrosion.  Especially for cars occasionally driven.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
I mentioned replacing the coolant with the Evans product to help curb the rust issues and he was receptive.  But he just wanted to do a regular flush and fill before winter.  I want to replace the coolant in my Mustang with the Evans product after the winter and boy it isn't cheap.  I'll do a search to see if anyone has gone through the process of converting to a waterless coolant to see what's involved.  I wonder how many he heck you get all of the water based coolant out.  I know Evans has a product for wicking water from cooling systems and would like to see if anyone has gone through the conversion process.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
I mentioned replacing the coolant with the Evans product to help curb the rust issues and he was receptive.  But he just wanted to do a regular flush and fill before winter.  I want to replace the coolant in my Mustang with the Evans product after the winter and boy it isn't cheap.  I'll do a search to see if anyone has gone through the process of converting to a waterless coolant to see what's involved.  I wonder how many he heck you get all of the water based coolant out.  I know Evans has a product for wicking water from cooling systems and would like to see if anyone has gone through the conversion process.

Easiest to BEGIN a restoration with EVERYTHING 100% dry (Radiator, block, heater core)
Otherwise it seems you would need to pull drain plugs and expansion plugs. Remove radiator, remove heater core...none of this is very easy but  it is possible to do in a single day (hot and sunny) on non-AC cars.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline KevinK

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »
I did a search yesterday for Evans. I found a flush kit which includes everything you need. It seemed somewhat reasonable at $335. While that may sound expensive, we are talking about lifetime coolant.

Jeggs
Part Number: 370-EC53001K
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:11:05 PM by KevinK »
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
I did a search yesterday for Evans. I found a flush kit which includes everything you need. It seemed somewhat reasonable at $335. While that may sound expensive, we are talking about lifetime coolant.

Agreed.  Have a link?

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:05:10 PM »
Easiest to BEGIN a restoration with EVERYTHING 100% dry (Radiator, block, heater core)
Otherwise it seems you would need to pull drain plugs and expansion plugs. Remove radiator, remove heater core...none of this is very easy but  it is possible to do in a single day (hot and sunny) on non-AC cars.
I've been using  Dexcool w distilled in my 67 w new radiator & rebuilt block. My theory is Dexcool is  formulated for aluminum rad's so it's milder than other  products.
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4