Author Topic: Repaint interior panel - preparation ??  (Read 2539 times)

Offline mhubert89

Repaint interior panel - preparation ??
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Hi !

I want to redonne somes interior panel that i buy for my project. What is the best way to prepare the panel ?
Oven cleaner ? Aircraft paint stripper ? What is the best way to clean all this panel !! Thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Repaint interior panel - preparation ??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
Stay far away from aircraft stripper on any fiberglass: it will eat it up in no time.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
I tried the oven cleaner method (be sure to make sure it has lye) and was pleasantly surprised. It took a couple applications but the part had multiple coats of paint on it . Previously had used the lacquer thinner that also works. Don't use the paint stripper.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
Been covered in at least one earlier post but used the Easy off method and was happy with it (just removing original coat of paint and one other layer of lacquer. Remember hand and eye protection, plenty of ventilation and rinse well

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9226.msg54074#msg54074
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:23:20 PM »
Oki i will try to find this stuff and try it on my panel !
Thanks

Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:12:37 AM »
Hubert, when I have refinished interiors on my cars, I use the Aircraft Paint Stripper ONLY on the metal doors. As previously stated, the Aircraft Stripper will ruin the fiberglass panels and any vinyl parts. Use the Easy Off oven cleaner on the fiberglass pieces. Be patient, it will probably take 2,3,4 applications to get all the paint off depending how many layers of paint you are removing.
      Easy Off Oven cleaner comes in yellow and blue cans. You must buy the yellow. The blue will not remove the paint at all.
      Spray a good heavy coat of the oven cleaner on the interior panel and let it sit for quite a while. I would cover mine in plastic and let them sit over-night.
      You do not want to use a wire brush, sand paper or any other abrasive on the panels, you will ruin the grain pattern. Once you have let the part soak in the oven cleaner for a long time, take the garden hose with a pressure nozzle and spray the oven cleaner off under high pressure. A soft-bristled dish cleaning brush (similar to what you would use to clean plates in your kitchen) can be used to help loosen the paint while washing off.

Now for painting once you have it stripped.
If you don't have access to a paint gun and want to do the work yourself, use SEM paint/dye products. They make a wide variety of colors. SEM covers great and my experience is it looks fantastic for years and years. When you buy the SEM paint, also buy either their vinyl or plastic prep, depending on the surface you are painting. The prep is really important to get the surface super clean for best results. I've even used SEM paint/dye on a headliner to get the color I wanted with excellent results.

https://www.semproducts.com/

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »
Oki guys, i try to spray somes easy off yellow cans and let there for overnight...just clean everything after , dont see really paint coming off .....
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »
Oki guys, i try to spray somes easy off yellow cans and let there for overnight...just clean everything after , dont see really paint coming off .....

Spray it very wet, wait about 20 minutes then scrub with a stiff plastic brush, repeat, repeat & repeat as often as needed. It takes a WHOLE lot of patience as well as making an effort to NOT damage the grain. I've only needed to do smaller pieces (thank God) and they were NO EASIER. It all depends on what paint you are removing as how many times you need to do this.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »
Spray it very wet, wait about 20 minutes then scrub with a stiff plastic brush, repeat, repeat & repeat as often as needed. It takes a WHOLE lot of patience as well as making an effort to NOT damage the grain. I've only needed to do smaller pieces (thank God) and they were NO EASIER. It all depends on what paint you are removing as how many times you need to do this.

Oki thanks i will try this methode ! Appreciate
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »
Anybody try this 2 products ? What you guys think about it ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
Anybody try this 2 products ? What you guys think about it ?
do NOT use that on any plastic or fiberglass parts: it will eat the base material for lunch.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
one can specifies plastic & the other fiberglass. i think these are different products from the regular aircraft stripper which will definitely eat your lunch.
5F09C331248

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »
Yes one its for plastic and other one for fiberglass
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:08:22 AM by carlite65 »
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
You can (should) test some on the back side of a panel just to be safe, so you know what it will do before going all out.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660