Author Topic: 67 deluxe door panel manufacturers  (Read 2716 times)

Offline socalgt

67 deluxe door panel manufacturers
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
I tried two sets of panels from TMI, and sent both back due to the poor preparation for the door handle cup and door pull installation...the replacements were just as bad, with one of them so bent it never would have installed...I've posted the problems.  Now....I have a set from Dashes Direct, which have been made nicely where those items fit in...(I've posted that also)but...I've found it impossible to install the clips...some of the cut outs aren't wide enough for the clips to fit in and the clips themselves can't be installed, unless a tool is used to cut an opening for the clip to slide in and even then it is very difficult.  As mentioned, one of the panels has cut outs that aren't even wide enough for the clips to fit into.  I attached a photo of one of the panels...it appears that what they say is black foam is partially blocking the openings for the clips and sealing the foam to the board preventing the clips from sliding in.  I spoke with them and one of their "techs" actually sent me a video of him easily installing the clips in seconds, but the panels were not like mine, for sure.  I would have to actually widen each clip opening)all 30 or so) with a Dremel, or other tool, cut a slot for the clip to fit into.  Some one must make these panels prepared correctly for the door handle cup, pull and the clips...any suggestions?  I've about had it with the suppliers so far.  Does Scott Drake actually manufacturer their own or just put their label on some one else's?  This shouldn't have turned into a  "major production", just installing new door panels.  I'm not looking for perfection, just panels that will work and look good.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:11:45 PM by socalgt »

Offline bazza

Re: 67 deluxe door panel manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:13:37 AM »
I was looking at Mustang Market. No holes at all and bad reviews.
I'm not sure what other options are out there though.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
I have requested new panels from Dashes Direct with the stipulation that they make sure before they ship them that the clips can actually be installed without any additional tooling to the panels.  Hopefully that will solve this problem and I can finally install the panels on the car....I've been trying to accomplish this for over a month now due to the problems with the panels I've received from both TMI and now Dashes Direct.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
I bought the Mustang Market panels.  I haven't installed or even dry-fitted them yet, as I still have to dye them Ivy Gold.  I will say that they are light years better than whatever reproduction is currently on the car now.  The ones I have installed now are extremely hard to the touch.  The Mustang Market panels are soft like the originals.  You're right that they have no holes at all, so I will have to figure out how to correctly locate holes for the aluminum trim, window cranks, door cups.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »
I bought the Mustang Market panels.  I haven't installed or even dry-fitted them yet, as I still have to dye them Ivy Gold.  I will say that they are light years better than whatever reproduction is currently on the car now.  The ones I have installed now are extremely hard to the touch.  The Mustang Market panels are soft like the originals.  You're right that they have no holes at all, so I will have to figure out how to correctly locate holes for the aluminum trim, window cranks, door cups.

I have requested new panels from Dashes Direct with the stipulation that they make sure before they ship them that the clips can actually be installed without any additional tooling to the panels.  Hopefully that will solve this problem and I can finally install the panels on the car....I've been trying to accomplish this for over a month now due to the problems with the panels I've received from both TMI and now Dashes Direct.

Curious how things go on these installs..please try and remember to post your results ;) Thanks guys!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:47 PM »
Dashes Direct is sending me new panels with the clips installed, so they appear to have good customer service....curious, when they get these panels back what they'll say about them not allowing the clips to be installed.  I don't think they'll actually believe me until they get them and see for themselves.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
Hard to believe, but I'm still trying to get the deluxe door panels from Dashes Direct installed.  They sent me panels with the clips pre-installed, since it was almost impossible to put them in myself, but now the lower clips do not line up with the factory holes in the door...that's where I draw the line on accepting poorly reproduced parts...I'm  not drilling new holes.  I sent them pictures showing how  far off some  of the  clips  are, mostly the bottom(about 1/4" to as much as almost 1/2".  I'm still waiting for their reply.  It's probably been over a month, a least now, that I have been trying to put new panels on (see previous posts).  So far, I've returned two sets to TMI and I'm on my second set from Dashes Direct.  I know the new holes wouldn't show, but really.  Have any of you had the problem with the clips lining up and gave in and drilled holes?  Better yet, can anyone recommend a manufacturer that makes these panels that allows the door handle cup and handle pull to install neatly(see my previous posts) has cutouts that actually allow the clips to install and line up  with the factory holes?  I gave up on TMI and about to give up on Dashes Direct.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:51:51 PM by socalgt »

Offline socalgt

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
I gave up and finally relocated the clips on the panels, as opposed to drilling new holes in the door.  Still can't believe all I went through just to have panels neatly accept the door pull, handle cup and line up with the holes in the door....these so called "exact" reproduction parts are anything but, as I'm sure we all know by now.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 08:51:35 AM »
Revisiting this one. I had been waiting for warm weather back east here to bow the banana-shaped Dashes Direct Deluxe panels flat enough to install them.

I successfully pinned each door panel down, first to a 2x6" plank, bent over a 1x2" in the middle and heated them up for a couple of days inside a hot closed up car, with the panels facing the sun as much as possible. I then had to bow the panel's longways over a thin home interior trim molding and the results looked good enough to attempt installation.

As socalgt indicated, the cutouts for the molding clips needed cleaned out to get the clips in. I used an "L"-shaped pick to open up the foam, clamped the door panel wire clip into a vice-grip and tapped the clip into the panel with a hammer, aligning one hole at a time to the holes of a spare door I had.

The panel then rather easily, snapped into place...BUT...

The door panels are too thick at the window cranks and I cannot even start a screw to attach the window crank.
The same thickness issue is at the door handle too, but that area, I have an answer for (I think).

It's pretty aggravating to have such an issue so close to being done. More aggravating that I waited 6-months for the warmer day to solve the previous issue but I just want to be DONE!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments