Author Topic: Markings on my Differential Pumpkin  (Read 1354 times)

mac1971

Markings on my Differential Pumpkin
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
Curious if anyone here knows/can decipher what was written on the bottom of my differential pumpkin at the factory. Looks like there is a "2" and a "9", but was there any logic applied and can this be determined today? Unfortunately, this part got stripped before I could investigate further... sucks. It also looks like there was an "x" marked on the front cover of the pumpkin, agree/disagree? Will have to leave off if I cannot see through the forest... This is on a '71 convertible.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Markings on my Differential Pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »
May be difficult to determine. As you already know, not as many "unrestored" 71-up Mustangs. I'm still hoping for you that somebody can help. Great hearing you chime in again.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Markings on my Differential Pumpkin
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »
Curious if anyone here knows/can decipher what was written on the bottom of my differential pumpkin at the factory. Looks like there is a "2" and a "9", but was there any logic applied and can this be determined today? Unfortunately, this part got stripped before I could investigate further... sucks.

Believe these were applied at the Sterling plant and likely identified the completed axle assembly. Normally a combination of letters and numbers applied in one of three colors (depending on year) and their usage appears to have started in late 67.

With that said its normally better to try and decode these in person since it provides allot more angles than just a couple posted online. Also I've found that if you highlight what appears to be connected in different colors patterns tend to show up better

Here is my attempt at what you provided..

Doesn't look like you have much to go on. On a number of 71 examples I have the writing ending in something that looks like a 9 or a lazy/sloppy 9

It also looks like there was an "x" marked on the front cover of the pumpkin, agree/disagree?...........

Is this the marking you believe is an "X"?  Doesn't look like its been clean so not sure if its crayon, paint or where someone dragged something across the finish and just left a mark

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:31:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)