Author Topic: rear side marker question  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Mwilson7

rear side marker question
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:44:40 AM »
I have a couple questions about the rear side markers that I was hoping to get some answers to:

- What makes the side markers right and left hand specific?
- Does anyone have pictures of the "RH" & "LH" stickers installed on an original car?
- Does anyone know what the purpose of the tab located on the bottom of the light is used for?

Thanks for your time,
Mark W
1F05J122
0F05Q189 
0F02G167
9F02G185
Bunch of other Ford's

Offline jcuprisi

Re: rear side marker question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
I thought the reflector might be different from left to right so I took a close look at my pair. I cannot see any difference between the reflectors. The body of the lamp assembly is universal and only the red lens is labelled LH or RH. I do not have stickers on mine.

The tab on the bottom of the housing is used to secure the harness to the light body to act as a strain relief for the bulb socket. The push pin on the harness retainer pushes into the tab hole.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
.....The tab on the bottom of the housing is used to secure the harness to the light body to act as a strain relief for the bulb socket. The push pin on the harness retainer pushes into the tab hole.

What is the picture referencing?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jcuprisi

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »
The retainer that is attached to the harness and the tip that pushes into the hole in the tab of the marker light body.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
The retainer that is attached to the harness and the tip that pushes into the hole in the tab of the marker light body.

My 71 had the round style wire retainers in those locations. Looking at other cars from that period I found both opaque and black loop retainers being used through the year.

Looking through my pictures I found the following example from a number of unrestored 71 Deaborn cars

Looking at pictures of similar style retainers to those you posted I don't see that style being used during 71 but instead the two prong style like we typically see at the firewall to cowl pinch well (for the wiper motor wire loom) in 69 & 70 that was attached using the black fabric tape.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:10:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
I thought the reflector might be different from left to right so I took a close look at my pair. I cannot see any difference between the reflectors. The body of the lamp assembly is universal and only the red lens is labelled LH or RH. I do not have stickers on mine.

The tab on the bottom of the housing is used to secure the harness to the light body to act as a strain relief for the bulb socket. The push pin on the harness retainer pushes into the tab hole.

I have worked on at least 2 dozen 71-73 tail-light harnesses and have another 2 dozen in stock in various conditions.  I've never seen a push-pin with parallel rings; they have always been the two prong connector that slides over the wires.  The other variant, which is embedded in the fabric loom, is used throughout the harness, but not at the side marker lamp wires where the loom doesn't extend.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com