Author Topic: How to keep exhaust pipes and muffler rust free  (Read 2407 times)

Offline beatlemike

How to keep exhaust pipes and muffler rust free
« on: August 14, 2021, 06:34:14 PM »
Does anyone have a good way of keeping the exhaust pipes and muffler rust free? I'm not asking about how to restore a rusted out pipe or muffler. I'm referring to an exhaust system that's in great shape now, but I want to keep surface rust off a show car. I'm guessing T-9 and RPM (Rust prevention magic) won't work on the exhaust due to the heat generated.

Thanks as always

Beatlemike

68 Dearborn plant

Offline jwc66k

Re: How to keep exhaust pipes and muffler rust free
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 06:54:43 PM »
There really isn't any "invisible" anti-rust preventative. I have a 66 H-Pipe that I got 15 years ago that has no visible rust because the previous owner painted it with Eastwood Exhaust Silver paint for exactly the reasons you state - rust. His thoughts were that the silver paint could be removed, the rust could not. I agree. I have a new exhaust system on my 66 HP and my solution is to not drive the car in the rain. It's Northern California so I don't have a problem there.
Not much help. Compromises are your solution.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: How to keep exhaust pipes and muffler rust free
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »
You can keep the rust down on the outside by various means but in case you are not aware exhaust pipes and mufflers typically rust from the inside out. Water condenses inside the pipes once the engine is shut down with the extreme temperature changes and sits there until the next time you run your car to blow it out and dry things up . That is until you shut your car off and the process starts over again. The corrosion is working overtime while the car sits not running on the inside surfaces so eventually you will see some rust indications on the outside surface right before it rust the rest of the way through. The T 9 will darken the metal of the pipe . Some people use VHT high temp clear but it will yellow over time too. There is no all purpose easy button for this problem . There are just short term fixes that help prolong life somewhat. Many people choose aluminized pipe or high carbon content stainless steel (magnet will stick to it) which doesn't look all that different then regular steel pipe for the appearance longevity. FYI regular stainless steel looks substantially brighter and shinier. Mufflers and resonators are typically made of aluminized or galvanized steel which last substantially longer then the steel pipe but not forever.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby