Author Topic: Date coded parts to engine or car?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline 69428SCJ

Date coded parts to engine or car?
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:26:44 AM »
What would be the more "appropriate" route to take regarding code matching? Hypothetical situation: The car you bought originally came with a B2, but currently has a 351C in it. You find and decide to use a B2 long block, but has a later cast date than when your car rolled down the line. Do you match the date codes of engine accessories to the production of the car, or the engine? Arguments for either/or?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Date coded parts to engine or car?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 02:35:34 AM »
What would be the more "appropriate" route to take regarding code matching? Hypothetical situation: The car you bought originally came with a B2, but currently has a 351C in it. You find and decide to use a B2 long block, but has a later cast date than when your car rolled down the line. Do you match the date codes of engine accessories to the production of the car, or the engine? Arguments for either/or?
Your hypothetical can be considered a trick question whether it is meant to be or not. The engine accessories would be wrong if dated to the later cast engine block or even to the production of the car . The engine would have been assembled at the engine plant typically 7 days to a month prior to the production of the car on the assemblyline. The components of the engine would have been dated prior to the assembly of the engine. To answer the question I think you were meaning to ask, is that it would be better to have all of the accessories dated prior to the assembly of the car rather then to the later dated engine block . That way only the engine block is incorrect instead of the engine block and the dozens of as accessories being mis dated too. Just my opinion others may have different.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:38:04 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69428SCJ

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
I see now how it can be seen as a trick question. My querry was which would be "less incorrect", having a complete date-coded engine that was correct to itself but incorrect to the build date of the car, or having only the block/heads being incorrect to the car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
I see now how it can be seen as a trick question. My querry was which would be "less incorrect", having a complete date-coded engine that was correct to itself but incorrect to the build date of the car, or having only the block/heads being incorrect to the car.
You answered your own question when you said "more". The block and heads are only 3 things .There are more then 3 engine accessories that are date coded . If using more or less as a criteria then less correct having a incorrect dated block ,heads and other accessories compared to correct dated for build accessories and incorrect dated block and heads. This issue is most relevant for your own personal judgement values one way or the other as owner of the car. Date codes are relevant in only a small percentage of concours class's  . With that said strictly from a concours judging aspect the more date codes that are incorrect (for a car in those class's that it is relevant) then the more potential point deductions.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69428SCJ

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »
Thank you for understanding what seems like I'm having a hard time verbalizing.
With that said strictly from a concours judging aspect the more date codes that are incorrect (for a car in those class's that it is relevant) then the more potential point deductions
Was the exact answer I was looking for.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:42 PM »
With that said strictly from a concours judging aspect the more date codes that are incorrect (for a car in those class's that it is relevant) then the more potential point deductions.   

Date codes are only relevant to the Tbred class. I always try get correct date codes on my concours cars because I want them to be as correct as possible. Incorrect date codes should not be deducted for in the concours classes.