Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Softening Hardened Rubber Brake Hose

(1/6) > >>

FXguy:
I have original brake hoses without cracks, original  paint markings, and nice finishes on the metal fittings but the rubber is pretty stiff. 

Anyone have a product/technique for softening rubber brake hoses.  Have seen several threads where WD40 was used to condition weatherstrip and underhood hoses but nothing specific to brake lines.  Also have seen dot4 brake fluid used to soften hardened plalstic and rubber parts on Youtube but don't want to use something that may eventually cause the lines to break down.

TIA

-Scott

midlife:
I know many here swear never to have WD30 close to any of their cars.

Personally, I would be concerned about the hardened rubber brake lines; not so much the outside but the inside.  If they are hard on the inside, they are liable to be brittle and crack from the inside out, causing a potential safety hazard. 

J_Speegle:
Might want to search for the thread related to softening old weatherstrip for some possibilities. Outer jackets on these hoses are very touchy after all these years.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: FXguy on December 31, 2016, 04:30:02 PM ---I have original brake hoses without cracks, original  paint markings, and nice finishes on the metal fittings but the rubber is pretty stiff. 

--- End quote ---
If in doubt, throw it out.
Jim

bgp429:
If any doubt don't use them. There are vendors who re-make single crimp hoses.

Previous thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5380.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version