Author Topic: 69 Mach1 Stripes / Build Sheet Question  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Shep69

69 Mach1 Stripes / Build Sheet Question
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has a build sheet for a 69 Mach 1. I'm wanting to order a stripe kit for my mustang but don't know what colour it came with. On my build sheet on the second row in box 41 it has a M in the box under tape stripe. Is this the box for the stripe kit colour? And if so does anybody know what the M stand for.
Cheers Mark

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: 69 Mach1 Stripes / Build Sheet Question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
Over the years, I've always heard/read about "M" denoting Mach 1 stripes so the line worker doesn't have to go looking for 63C instead.
There's charts of what paint color gets what stripe colors, but for a customer order that deviated from the norm, I have no idea where that is denoted on the build sheet.
A build sheet decoder would be great to have in the resource section.
It's weird how info on them seems so scant, it's not like it's classified LOL!
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Shep69

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
Cheers for the feedback 7Lscjracer.

Offline 7Lscjracer

69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:00:42 PM »
Looking at other 69 builtsheets the findings (from what I have) were consistent with M under the TAPE STRIPE heading for all Mach I's not matter the color of the stripe.

Other body styles received a blank or other letter denoting other style of stripes. For example for the Grande or other special models
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Shep69

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
I have seen the charts showing the stripe colours recommendations from interior and body colour but would have thought there would have been something on the build sheet so the guys on the assembly line got the correct colour stripe. I thought the stripe colour would have been a option for the customer to choose. My Mach is gulfstream aqua with black interior so going off the chart looks like black with gold. I still like the gold on aqua though.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:36:37 PM »
I have seen the charts showing the stripe colours recommendations from interior and body colour but would have thought there would have been something on the build sheet so the guys on the assembly line got the correct colour stripe.

Likely IMHO there is something somewhere else that guided the worker to the right (for the car) stripe color or they followed the standard/suggested color matches unless a notation was made

I thought the stripe colour would have been a option for the customer to choose. .......

Like exterior colors the saleman would attempt to steer buyers into ordering what was typical or standard. Cut down on paperwork and possible screw ups
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shep69

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:41:42 AM »
Cheers Jeff.  So what your saying is there's no real way of knowing what colour stripes my car came with.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:45:13 AM »
Cheers Jeff.  So what your saying is there's no real way of knowing what colour stripes my car came with.

If you have no evidence left from the original stripes (corners or edges of doors, quarter panel fenders ....) then you can make an educated guess that will likely be correct. But without more info don't think you can be 100% certain at this point
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shep69

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 05:27:11 AM »
If you have no evidence left from the original stripes (corners or edges of doors, quarter panel fenders ....) then you can make an educated guess that will likely be correct. But without more info don't think you can be 100% certain at this point

There was signs of the gold and white stripes behind one of the fenders but I wouldn't know if it's original to my car. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to decide what colour too use . 👍

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 02:19:16 PM »
There was signs of the gold and white stripes behind one of the fenders but I wouldn't know if it's original to my car. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to decide what colour too use . 👍

Compare the stamping date to the rest of the bolt on panels and check to see if it has any holes that would indicate if it came from another 69 (like the emblem holes) as well as hidden original body color.  Those facts should help you to form a conclusion
Jeff Speegle