Author Topic: GT Stripe source  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Angela

GT Stripe source
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
I read a great thread about dimensions of original GT stripe decals (http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7769.0). What I didn't find in that thread is discussion of where to obtain good stripe kits. Once in a while I see NOS decals for sale, but I question the integrity of 50yr-old vinyl. :-) I'd like to purchase an accurate reproduction of the GT decal, made in the USA. A quick google search appears to indicate several companies offer USA-made decals. That said, I'd like to know if you guys could offer feedback as to a good source for these stripes. Thanks.

Offline 67gta289

Re: GT Stripe source
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
The last page (3) of the thread you referenced includes details on where to buy the correct reproduction.  Is that information insufficient?  That said, I did a quick search on eBay and did not turn up any link.  Looking at my purchase history, in Feb 2016 I purchased the "1967 EARLY MUSTANG GT STRIPE KIT Ford Licensed" from seller "jackjilli".  Maybe you can inquire with them.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:02:38 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
How embarrassing is that!? My bad, forgive me, I missed the source info. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :-)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
The last page (3) of the thread you referenced includes details on where to buy the correct reproduction.  Is that information insufficient?  That said, I did a quick search on eBay and did not turn up any link.  Looking at my purchase history, in Feb 2016 I purchased the "1967 EARLY MUSTANG GT STRIPE KIT Ford Licensed" from seller "jackjilli".  Maybe you can inquire with them.

John, have you ever installed yours yet? I also bought a set at that time (as obviously others did too, price went up also) I have not installed mine yet so no report on the quality.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Richard, stripes are pretty much the icing on the cake.  I'm still grinding the wheat to make the cake!  This week is emergency brakes next up will be heater - A/C evaporator case.  Not that it is a race mind you, I really enjoy the process and really appreciate all of the help provided by all of the contributors here. Simply the best
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
Hey guys, I hope the following wasn't already answered.... I re-read the previous thread and still don't see where the ebay listings were discussed. I'm so glad you pointed me in that direction in this new thread!

I left a message for "Chad" (ebay seller), but haven't yet heard from him. Does anyone know what the time frame is for what the ebay seller denotes as "early" and "late" 67 cars?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
Hey guys, I hope the following wasn't already answered.... I re-read the previous thread and still don't see where the ebay listings were discussed. I'm so glad you pointed me in that direction in this new thread!

I left a message for "Chad" (ebay seller), but haven't yet heard from him. Does anyone know what the time frame is for what the ebay seller denotes as "early" and "late" 67 cars?

The ITEM number is mentioned only.

The EARLY or LATE thing hasn't, to my knowledge, been ironed out exactly. What was found to my understanding is that the NOS versions didn't match up to several original examples. It IS POSSIBLE (read as not proven) that the "early version" is assemblyline correct while the LATER version is a copy of the service replacement.

Maybe other 67 experts can offer what they have seen and what their understanding is at the present time.
Richard Urch

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
Thanks Richard. FYI, I spoke with Chad (the ebay seller) and he said he could no longer remember the time frame within which "early" and "late" decals applied. What he said was that if your '67 was produced within the first couple of months of the start of 1967 model year production, you'd want to buy the "early" decal kit. Otherwise, the "late" decal kit would be correct. He also stated that all service parts reflect the dimensions in the "late" decal kit.
I actually like the look of the "early" stripe (the lines are narrower). So is it completely incorrect to apply the "early" decal to a June 30 '67 build date car?

Also, looking at the ebay auction link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-MUSTANG-GT-STRIPE-KIT-FORD-LICENSED-4-COLORS-/321083983705) I don't see evidence in the photos that these decals provide an opening for the GT or GTA emblems. I have to believe such an opening exists in the decal.... can anyone who has bought a kit verify this for me?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
Richard, the early= factory and late=service is what I'm thinking. All of the unrestored examples I've seen are of the early (narrow) variant.  That said original cars without a repainted with service stripes are hard to come by.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »
Thanks Richard. FYI, I spoke with Chad (the ebay seller) and he said he could no longer remember the time frame within which "early" and "late" decals applied. What he said was that if your '67 was produced within the first couple of months of the start of 1967 model year production, you'd want to buy the "early" decal kit. Otherwise, the "late" decal kit would be correct. He also stated that all service parts reflect the dimensions in the "late" decal kit.
I actually like the look of the "early" stripe (the lines are narrower). So is it completely incorrect to apply the "early" decal to a June 30 '67 build date car?

I wouldn't take any seller's opinion of when (or if) a production change occurred over the course of the 67 Model year. As we discover more and more about running changes and Service Parts changes, we find what Ford most often did in the day our cars were built and the few years Ford was interested in helping to service them,. You would need another UNRESTORED 67, one built closer to your build information to correctly answer the question.

Also, looking at the ebay auction link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-MUSTANG-GT-STRIPE-KIT-FORD-LICENSED-4-COLORS-/321083983705) I don't see evidence in the photos that these decals provide an opening for the GT or GTA emblems. I have to believe such an opening exists in the decal.... can anyone who has bought a kit verify this for me?

No opening in the reproduction stripe kit and for what it is worth, no opening in the Service Replacement I once had either. If you think about it, that opening is more than likely different for a GT vs. a GTA
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:01:19 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Angela

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
OK....more follow-up questions :-)

(A) if my goal is to replicate (as much as possible) what the car would have looked like when it was built, then is it correct to say I should purchase the "early" decal kit, regardless of the build date of my '67?

(B) if these kits do not contain the opening for the GT/GTA emblem, this obviously means I need to cut the opening. Sounds tricky! So Ford dealers in the late 60's would have had to cut this opening if replacing these decals after a repaint/collision repair?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
(A) if my goal is to replicate (as much as possible) what the car would have looked like when it was built, then is it correct to say I should purchase the "early" decal kit, regardless of the build date of my '67?

IMHO, I would confirm this by your own research. Now, my "GUESS" would be yes... but we do have 3 assembly plants and my research has mostly been on San Jose cars, early to mid-year production only to date.

(B) if these kits do not contain the opening for the GT/GTA emblem, this obviously means I need to cut the opening. Sounds tricky! So Ford dealers in the late 60's would have had to cut this opening if replacing these decals after a repaint/collision repair?

My understanding is YES. Keep in mind, even Ford treated these cars rather "roughly" on the assemblyline so I doubt that EVERY car matched one another on the finished line exactly...just saying to try and not over-think the process.

From the other thread: (see image below)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:43:48 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch