Author Topic: 67 289 AC Idler Pulley Finishes & Rebuilding  (Read 6276 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 289 AC Idler Pulley Finishes & Rebuilding
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm trying to establish the correct finishes of the various components of the  IDLER PULLEY ASSEMBLY, such as the bracket, the pulley and center bearing cap. Working on an Air Conditioned 289, With power Steering and Thermactor Equipment, 11/66 built in San Jose example if it makes any difference. UPDATED PER THREAD DISCUSSION: It has been determined through this thread's discussion, that EARLY 67 289's DID NOT USE THIS BRACKET & IDLER PULLEY. A Ford TSB came about over the production year and later production cars seemed to include the updated installation of this IDLER pulley which mounts on the lateral bracket between the AC compressor and the crankshaft pulley ~(this discussion is over THAT Idler pulley, not the tensioner pulley found on non-Thermactor vehicles, though "finishes" are the same of both assemblies)

A search did not really discuss much about the various finishes.
1.) BRACKET: is it semi-gloss black? Phosphate and oil? Natural steel?
2.) PULLEY: I assume it is BLACK, yes or no?
3.) CENTER CAP: Natural or Clear Zinc? or other?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:25:47 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 289 AC Idler Pulley Finishes & Rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
I'm trying to establish the correct finishes of the various components of the  IDLER PULLEY ASSEMBLY, such as the bracket, the pulleyand center bearing cap. Working on an Air Conditioned 289, With power Steering and Thermactor Equipment. 11/66 built in San Jose example if it makes any difference.

A search did not really discuss much about the various finishes.
1.) BRACKET: is it semi-gloss black? Phosphate and oil? Natural steel?
2.) PULLEY: I assume it is BLACK, yes or no?
3.) CENTER CAP: Natural or Clear Zinc? or other?
1.) is P/O ,  2.)semi gloss black (vary degress of BK but not high gloss) , 3.) zinc silver 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
1.) is P/O ,  2.)semi gloss black (vary degress of BK but not high gloss) , 3.) zinc silver

Dems the answers I seek and what looked like things were under the "everything is sg black" paint job I removed ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
This should provide a visual idea of what they were doing. Always found the gloss level in the idler pulleys to originally have been higher than any AC bracket or engine pulleys by comparison

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
Here is the one I am working on
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »

I see that bracket without a pulley installed in it in the installation instructions for the 289 below

Illustrations show the routing of the belts Doesn't show routing for application with thermactor where the idler is not used

Couldn't find any 67 examples with a pulley mounted below the AC pump and the crank shaft pulley

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:23:20 PM »
I see that bracket without a pulley installed in it in the installation instructions for the 289 below

Illustrations show the routing of the belts Doesn't show routing for application with thermactor where the idler is not used

Couldn't find any 67 examples with a pulley mounted below the AC pump and the crank shaft pulley

Looks like to me, the same pulley on the adjuster is pressed off the adjuster bracket, the adjuster bracket then gets tossed and the pulley & bearing gets pressed into the hole on the long bracket instead for Thermactor. (like mine is)

The assembly manuals show it a little bit, but not clear in either the engine manual or chassis manuals
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:27:37 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Deuce

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
My SJ C-code coupe AC car (built 12/06/1966) has no idler pulley; belt runs from crankshaft pulley (front sheave of three) to AC compressor to Thermactor pump. No idler pulley.

For a visual, consult Small Block Ford V8 1962-1969 book by Mannel on p. 7-37; section 7K21 (d).  The photo and narrative says for 1967: "Mustang/Cougar with A/C, T/E and P/S.  Looking more like a big-block than a 289, its air pump served as the A/C idler pulley and belt adjuster."

This is the configuration on my car and would be consistent with the diagram and info posted above.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:31:34 PM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
Looks through related pictures and dont recall ever seeing an idler pulley there nor could I find a car set up that way Not sure of what purpose the pulley would have since the distance is the same as in the non-Thermactor applications.  Don't believe the K codes with AC, Thermactor and PS (Shelbys) had it either

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »
My SJ C-code coupe AC car (built 12/06/1966) has no idler pulley; belt runs from crankshaft pulley (front sheave of three) to AC compressor to Thermactor pump. No idler pulley.

For a visual, consult Small Block Ford V8 1962-1969 book by Mannel on p. 7-37; section 7K21 (d).  The photo and narrative says for 1967: "Mustang/Cougar with A/C, T/E and P/S.  Looking more like a big-block than a 289, its air pump served as the A/C idler pulley and belt adjuster."

This is the configuration on my car and would be consistent with the diagram and info posted above.
You have got the idler pulleys confused. The one you are referring to is the ADJUSTABLE idler pulley that your system doesn't use.  In your case the thermactor pump serves that adjustment purpose . You should have in your system and what the OP shows in his picture is the FIXED idler pulley. It doesn't have any adjustment as the name imply and it is meant to keep the bottom side of the belt loop taut . It can be seen in Jeff's drawn illustrations but can not be seen in the Mannel book page 7-37 picture D because the fan obstructs it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:28 PM »
Looks through related pictures and dont recall ever seeing an idler pulley there nor could I find a car set up that way Not sure of what purpose the pulley would have since the distance is the same as in the non-Thermactor applications.  Don't believe the K codes with AC, Thermactor and PS (Shelbys) had it either

Interesting. (And seeing images, makes me wonder)

I'm 100% sure mine is set up as I received it and sure I wouldn't just add it in for kicks & giggles. This and seeing the same bracket in the assembly manual images and the same bracket used in the other illustration you (Jeff) posted. I just pressed it apart this morning to change the bearing and to restore the bracket & pulley.

As far as "why" it would be there, I imagine to dampen the belt slap on that extra long run.

Anyways, I plan to put it back in there and will answer to it as being "as found".

Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
That is the lower mounted "fixed" idler pulley it is used on both BB and SB A/C Mustang systems.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Interesting. (And seeing images, makes me wonder)

I'm 100% sure mine is set up as I received it and sure I wouldn't just add it in for kicks & giggles. This and seeing the same bracket in the assembly manual images and the same bracket used in the other illustration you (Jeff) posted. I just pressed it apart this morning to change the bearing and to restore the bracket & pulley.

As far as "why" it would be there, I imagine to dampen the belt slap on that extra long run.

Anyways, I plan to put it back in there and will answer to it as being "as found".
You didn't read my post yet I guess. Yours is correct for the application IMO. ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:22:43 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »
This should provide a visual idea of what they were doing. Always found the gloss level in the idler pulleys to originally have been higher than any AC bracket or engine pulleys by comparison

The cast iron brace in the picture is the lower fixed idler minus the pulley.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »
Page 7-35 of Mannels book shows the lower fixed idler and it's placement.