Author Topic: Undercarriage seam sealer question - 68 SJ  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Undercarriage seam sealer question - 68 SJ
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:40 PM »
Looking for some input on seam sealer locations on the bottom side of the floor pans. I read several older posts but other than Dudleys car didn't see a lot of info on San Jose cars. There was quite a bit of the sealer at the floor and rocker panel left and around the seat belt reinforcements. Are there any other seams on the bottom that get sealer. Jeff in a post from May 6 2013 you mentioned it would be nice to see what was under the sealer at the rocker and floor. Maybe you have already discovered this but in these photos you can see the strip of red oxide that was under the sealer before the black out was applied. Any help on other areas that should receive sealant on the bottom side would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:51:11 AM by J_Speegle »
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Undercarriage seam sealer question - 68 SJ
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:02:26 AM »
The 68 San Jose Car.

David,
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:51:29 AM by J_Speegle »
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:36:25 AM »
This post was split from another thread  shown before for reference

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14987.0

Stangly are you asking for your 69, 68 or another car.  Guessing its the 68 San Jose car just want to be sure 

Will post some pictures and info. Everything (well just about) this sort of question comes up I get caught up going back through my pictures and updating my related detail collection.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
The following is a general look (no specific production period) at the sealants applied to the undercarriage panels and brackets on a 68 San Jose Mustang and Cougar

1- Rocker to floor pan seam.typically the worker applied the product with an applicator (gun) and spread the product to attempt to seal the seam as instructed. Normally we find most of the product on the floor panel and less on the rocker lip. Maybe a 90/10 or 80/20 split

Normally starts behind the torque box area and at the rear it stops at the front edge of the rear spring front mount panel. There are examples where the worker applied more produce (for some unknown reason) and ran the sealant across the front edge of the floor and rear spring panel or straight back to the pocket behind the rear spring panel along the rocker panel 

2- Front seat inner belt anchors. Sealant was applied and spread with a much wider wipe than the rocker sealant. Sometimes it was heavier other times lighter/thinner or not so complete around the bracket

3- Rear seat inner belt anchors. Sealant was applied and spread with a much wider wipe than the rocker sealant. Sometimes it was heavier other times lighter/thinner or not so complete around the bracket. Often appears that the same hand applied the front and rear seat belt anchor sealant

4- Rear seat belt anchors. Not sealed with sealant. These two examples support that and show one car where the area lacks sealant and the other where the rear wheel well sound deadener was applied so that they area was covered with that product

5- Rear wheel well lip.  Before rear sound deadener was applied a application and wipe of sealant was applied around the outer edge of the outer wheel housing. Difficult to see or take a picture of - I've highlighted over the remains and signs of the sealant in the first picture in the second to indicate the area covered. Pattern is approx 1/2" wide around and above the lip where it bends horizontally

6- Trunk drop to quarter panel weld line.  Sealant was applied and spread typically from behind the quarter drain rearward horizontally not normally following the edge reward and upward

Hope this helps explain what I've found on unrestored 68 San Jose cars
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:54:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »
Thanks for the nice examples this looks consistent of what remnants are left on my car. I did stumble on this photo while looking for something else. You can see a bit of the sealant at the end of the torque box I believe as you mentioned. I also noticed that it looks like the red oxide is under the sealant with the blackout being the top coat. Is this typically the order or does this very from plant to plant.

David,

68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:53:03 PM »
I also noticed that it looks like the red oxide is under the sealant with the blackout being the top coat. Is this typically the order or does this very from plant to plant.

I've always found the rocker to floor pan sealant to have been applied after the floor was painted all plants and years of Mustang production - 64-73

Black from the pinch weld black out is the last paint applied to the unibody

Fixed the numbering of the pictures and picture #2
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:55:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 12:27:25 AM »
Just to make sure I'm getting this, the order would be primer, body overspray, blackout, and then sealant.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 05:23:59 AM »
Just to make sure I'm getting this, the order would be primer, body overspray, blackout, and then sealant.

Two things - between (may have taken place at the same station) body color application and the pinch weld black out you have the engine compartment being painted black. This affects the undercarriage at the firewall and the rear of the front wheel wells and floor transition

None of the sealers that are shown above are normally in the path of direct or indirect spray from any of the processes (rocker, trunk drop and rear wheel lip) since the panels produce a shadow so its difficult to find any of the paints on top of those sealers but can report I've never found them under those sealers ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
Jeff this makes total sense now I wasn't considering the angles that the paints were applied. Thank you again for the photos and the explanation, have a great weekend.

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue