Author Topic: 1970 Sprtsrof 6 Cylinder question (now with pics)  (Read 4744 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Re: 1970 Sprtsrof 6 Cylinder question
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the warning on quarters.  As for the build thread.  I would love to but more for people seeing what I am doing and stopping me from doing something stupid or costly and me getting their great advice.  I would probably benefit more from the thread unless comedic value counts then maybe it would be a quid pro quo for the forum members.  Actually, I am only thinking of this mustang as an opportunity to not pass up at that price.  I think if I let it go, someone will buy it and turn it into something it was not or cut it up to fix their car.  I am struggling with that.  I actually have a 1970 Grabber Blue Mach 1 sitting in the garage that I want to do and have been collecting parts for.  So having said that, maybe I might try to start a build thread for it and then the other one down the road.

Once again any thoughts, ideas or advice are always welcome and very appreciated as they are free and mistakes are costly.

v/r
Dan

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
Do the Mach 1 in the garage.

The 6 cylinder sport roof car with its issues would be too expensive and time consuming to restore, even if you got it for free.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »
or just do a "Resale Red" (but in blue metalic ;) ) repaint and interior sharpen-up and put it up for sale. Just do the job budget-minded, not Restoration minded, you may profit a grand or two and gain some knowledge for your Mach build
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
Ok Dan (it sounds like WE are the other angel (or devil) on your shoulder) !  LOL    From reading a few times from you words like Money spent/value, good investment and even worse Wife and Kid friendly.   So my imput will be coming from a different side (one that isn't emotionally involved with "saving every car".

I think we all know that that car is on the bottom of the food chain for collecablity, interest or future resale.  (as sits, repaired or reselling the hour after you buy it).   It takes the same amount of effort to weld, paint and BUY PARTS for that car as it does for a Boss 302, 428CJ etc etc.   

Seeing you have a car that you haven't started to work on (100%) MY GUESS is "time and money" (read family and work) haven't allowed for progess the way you (or your wife) has wanted.   Yes you are chomping at the bit to "resore something" but that is where you can't make more time or money. If you haven't resotored 5 or 6 cars in the last 10 years chances of doing so get less and less as time goes on!  (Economy changes/life changes/AGE).

I?WE can see MANY REASONS (above) not to but here is one that has effected me MANY TIMES (and some others too I'll guess).............so SO often I have bought a car or project and "the next day/week/month"  a BETTER, rarer (rear more profitable car) come along!   (you then have to buy that too) 13 Mustangs later and your wife is really on your ass to "get those cars sold"!

Mark
P.S.  Love reading you repies and noted the respect for "comedic valve" so here goes.     "Nancy Regan"

1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
Mark,

That has to be some of the best damn advice/reality check I have received yet.  I really appreciate that!  This damn car just keeps knawing at me.  Like that darn last, sad, ugly, puppy sitting in the Wal-Mart parking lot, long after all its siblings have been taken to a new home.  You want to save it!  I know this car will never be worth a bunch and never command a price.  I think it would just be a fun counter weight to do where aftermarket parts do not matter so much as they would on my Mach 1, rebuilding a smaller cheaper motor, less parts to track, scrutinize and restore to perfection.  I think of this more as "polishing a turd!"  I'll never be able to mask its nasty stench "(6cyl)", but I think I can polish this turd until it blinds the unsuspecting oogler until they open the hood and get a wiff.  You are right, it will sit for awhile until I can get priorities strait.  Just retired after 25+ in the Army.  Wife let me get the Mach as a retirement project only after I went and got another job, go figure!  So, yes time is split between what I want to do and what I have to do.  I don't think I am losing anything if it just sits and I have no expectation to buy and flip.  I will try to get some pics in the next week or two, as it is literally sitting in a barn, yes an actual barn find, if a 6 cylinder can be called that legally!

I really like this site, its wonderful members and all their great advice and stories.

v/r
Dan
aka "Future Turd Polisher" (FTP)

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Well I'm glad your LIKED my response !  And glad you didn't take offence -none was meant!

Now I'm really going to mess with your mind.   It's is funny I spend more time looking at a 6cyl (with rare intakes, carbs and headers) at a show than I do at any other cars.  (mostly because you don't see Cliford manifolds and stromberg carbs everyday)!
Having said that 6cyl or not IT WILL COST MONEY and take away time.

It sounds like "herder sydrome"  (not horder).  It is what you love them so much you want to save everyone one.   Common with Corvair, Vega and Metropolitan owners.   Then again SAAB, Triumph MG etc etc.   

Mark
P.S.  Did you get the "Nancy Regan" line?

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
I am still trying to figure it out.  Was it the last name spelling and if so I am at a loss?  I love a good joke or riddle but I am officially stumped.

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »
Yeah sorry Nancy Reagan !    "just say no"  My vote on the car.   
Mark

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
Duh!  I should of caught that one as it flew over my head.  That is so my generation.  I was thinking like Ronald Reagan, the more nukes the better! 

So several have advised to run away.  I may have to reevaluate and let the thing go.  Well no one is holding a gun to my head and I have until beginning of March to decide. 

So even with the numbers correct factory original motor and trans, and me taking me sweet old time doing the work myself, and using old OEM, used and aftermarket parts, and it being a medium blue metallic, with white deluxe interior with décor group, and only costing $1750, and I can't think of anything else to say to put lipstick on this pig, I should still walk away? 

Hmmm.  I will wait for the final consensus if I can get pics and post them soon.  Aaaargh!   

Cheers all,
Dan

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »
Yeah sorry Nancy Reagan !    "just say no"  My vote on the car.   
It could have been Bill, who "never" said no.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 10:12:05 PM »
Yes, but I bet "Slick Willie" not only liked the nice shiny paint jobs on his rides, he most likely always popped their hoods to see what was under there and checked the oil while he was there, just as a courtesy I'm sure.  He was probably hitting on all 8 cylinders all the time and never messed with a crappy old 6 banger. 

Disclaimer:All previous puns artfully and most ornerestly intended for your reading enjoyment.

Now I digress, back to my 6 banger.  Can anyone recommend decent engine rebuild kits.  I actually am asking for both this and my Mach 1 as both have their original motors.  The 250 CI and my Mach 1 is 351C 4V with FMX, PS, PDB and AC, if it matters.  Same would go for the Carbs and C4 and FMX.  Maybe a better questions might be is there rebuild kits/companies to definitely stay away from? This is down the road for me but I am a planner and always watching for a good deal and would hate to miss pulling the trigger on something due to inexperience or ignorance. 

Thanks again for all the great jocularity and more importantly advice.

v/r
Dan   

Offline JohnSlack

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
Dan,
While I've lurked on this website for years, I've recently started posting here as well. One bit of information that seems to keep being missed in the cost of restoration projects like you are contemplating is that it is what I've always referred to as one of the "Children of a Lesser God". The really nice original interior parts are shared with some non-Mach Cobra Jet sportsroofs, some BOSS 302 and 429 cars. Other than the drivetrain components you will be competing with owners of the "higher" grade cars for parts and lots of times those owners will spend more than they should for parts. I know I have.

Now I used quotation marks for the "higher" grade cars and also for the "Children of a Lesser God" remarks. I think that your car blue with the White interior would be very pretty car. Yes it would stand out. Good luck with it.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 12:54:54 AM »
Update.

This car will be delivered to the farm tomorrow afternoon.  Too good a deal to let walk away.  I will post pics soon and start thinking about what to do with it.

v/r
Dan 

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »
The car now comfortably reside at a new Kansas farm.  Behold the 6 banger in all it's Kansas wheat field dust and glory.  What to do now? 

v/r
Dan