Author Topic: 67 S Code Smog Canister Mounting Holes  (Read 1182 times)

Offline rocnhrse

67 S Code Smog Canister Mounting Holes
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
67 gta s code April San Jose
On the passenger  side shock tower  are 2 sets of pre punched holes ,one set is for a bracket  that holds the smog  air cannister, what would  be the use of the second  set of holes,just starting to  pieces  together  a thermactor  system  any suggestions  as I go down  this road
Thanks John
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:02:55 PM by J_Speegle »
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67

Offline MattDoscher

Re: 67 S Code Smog Canister Mounting Holes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
[any suggestions  as I go down  this road]

John,
Maybe reach out to Josep on the forum as he recently acquired and installed a complete system on his '66 200.  I know it's not the same as what you're working on but there may be similarities.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:03:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
67 gta s code April San Jose
On the passenger  side shock tower  are 2 sets of pre punched holes ,one set is for a bracket  that holds the smog  air cannister, what would  be the use of the second  set of holes,just starting to  pieces  together  a thermactor  system  any suggestions  as I go down  this road
Thanks John

There are two styles in 67 one style of system (running change) where the filter was attached to the shock tower and one that was not. Check the bracket for the filter to the holes and that will likely provide your answer  as long as they are high enough on the shock tower. Your system is almost completely different than a 6 cylinder and is even somewhat different (some different parts) from even other S code systems built during the same year so make sure you get all the right pieces for your system

Unfortunately your system shares some of the same parts as systems for a GT500 so you have a little more competition for parts

From the factory to my knowledge there is nothing factory that would have mounted to that shock tower in the same location There are a number of typical after market parts and accessories that have similar mounting pattern.  There are some prior threads that discuss some of the parts and differences If you haven't already I would start by searching those out
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:03:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rocnhrse

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
The bracket  for the canister  was on the shock tower  when I got the car , the holes line up in either  spot with the bracket, didn't  take a pic of that when I took it apart (dumb) I have a complete  67 428 Ltd smog set up I think some parts work certainly  not drivers side tube I have researched every thread on this site  ,I understand  some  of what's going on

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
The bracket  for the canister  was on the shock tower  when I got the car , the holes line up in either  spot with the bracket, didn't  take a pic of that when I took it apart (dumb) I have a complete  67 428 Ltd smog set up I think some parts work certainly  not drivers side tube I have researched every thread on this site  ,I understand  some  of what's going on

Believe that some of the pump mounting brackets will be different. No cast rear arm if that is what it (428) has. Possibly the pulley and likely pump to filter hose

Believe this is a picture of a LTD or Full size Ford  installation that shows some of the differences

Jeff Speegle

Offline rocnhrse

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
These holes appear  to be done at the factory 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
These holes appear  to be done at the factory

Odd - or not normal. Too many holes for the mount (only needs two) The guy that made the holes (if done at Ford) didn't put any in the typical location for the hose to fit nicely and was pretty heavy handed though I did find one example where the guy produced a similar effect on the metal

Ford examples below showing the usual location. Owner of the top right found an alternative use for the holes once the Thermactor system was removed

Maybe your car is an example of a screw up on the line Happens every once in a while. Not going to scrap the body because you have a few extra holes or in the wrong location
Jeff Speegle

Offline rocnhrse

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
Thanks  Jeff,  it appears that  the mounting  holes were on the flat part of the shock  tower and not on the radious at all