Author Topic: Krylon Semi-Flat  (Read 5130 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Krylon Semi-Flat
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
Question came up in another thread related to currently purchasing Krylon 1613 Semi-Black rattle can so I thought I would post the following in its own thread so others can find it a little easier. The challenge is that many sellers have stopped carrying this product and others were having difficultly finding the inventory numbers or location to purchase it from. I purchased mine from Granger online a few years back and dug out a case (6 cans) and below are the numbers from the side of the box. Not sure which set are the important one and would invited those that try to report back if your successful or not

Hope this helps others

HL2838E

K01613A00

Interior/Exterior

1613 Semi-flat Blk

Hopefully I got all the numbers and letters correct  ::)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:48:50 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Kryon Semi-Flat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
Can I ask Jeff what you paint with this product???

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I just went through this just a couple months ago, I wanted the "real" 1613 that everyone loves for the early Mustang Black Semi Flat Black. Turns out you can still get it, just not through any big box hardware store. I called up Krylon direct and found out not only did they change the SKU number even though it's still 1613, but they actually transferred me to another department which was not for retail. It's now called Industrial Krylon 1613. I can probably pull the info off the unopened box I just purchased if people are interested. But basically I called them up made sure we were talking about the correct formulation of the popular 1613, and then they told me several places I could go get it. Turns out one was only about a mile away from where my car was at the time in Fremont so I was able to just walk in and buy it. They have plenty of places that either stock it or that you can order directly from and have it shipped.

The place I got it from was called:

Fastenal - 37420 Cedar Blvd, Newark, CA 94560 - 510-796-4521

Hope this helps,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline DKutz

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
wish they would put this list online!!  Would love to get it.
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »
wish they would put this list online!!  Would love to get it.

Oh wait there is a couple Fastenal's in my area!!  too cool

what is the part number??
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 04:22:27 PM »
Can I ask Jeff what you paint with this product???
Used it for small brackets and pulleys when I wanted a slightly different look/finish from other brackets and pulleys. The part can also be baked after application which will also alter the finish slightly and IMHO improve the durability
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
I'll take a shot of the unopened box and upload the product information when I get home from work tonight...
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »
I just went through this just a couple months ago, I wanted the "real" 1613 that everyone loves for the early Mustang Black Semi Flat Black. Turns out you can still get it, just not through any big box hardware store. I called up Krylon direct and found out not only did they change the SKU number even though it's still 1613, but they actually transferred me to another department which was not for retail. It's now called Industrial Krylon 1613. ...........

Thanks Jason - yes my cans are marked Industrial Krylon also.

Apparently the 51613 is the reformulated product so watch out for those cans

Here is a site that list the 1613 - Have never used this company nor have any ties to it ;)

They have changed the packaging/labeling since I last bought it

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/paint/aerosol/krylon-5-ball-interior-exterior-paint-semi-flat-black?a=30137856&c=B37856
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,

As far as rattle can applications, do you still think it's a good engine bay match color. I know there are a lot of people that think it's a dead on match to the original factory engine bay color and sheen.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »
Thanks Jason - yes my cans are marked Industrial Krylon also.

Apparently the 51613 is the reformulated product so watch out for those cans

Here is a site that list the 1613 - Have never used this company nor have any ties to it ;)

They have changed the packaging/labeling since I last bought it

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/paint/aerosol/krylon-5-ball-interior-exterior-paint-semi-flat-black?a=30137856&c=B37856

Yeah, before I went through the process of calling Krylon direct to get that information, I tried to order it through Global Industries, they said they had it so I ordered it, two weeks later, nothing had shown up at my house so I called them back and they said it was on back order and they didn't know when they'd have it again. But this wasn't true, that's when I called Krylon, got the place I mentioned as a distributer and was able to get it immediately, and they just ordered more for me and got that immediately as well. So not sure what the deal with that place was and failing to get me the product...

Jason

Offline DKutz

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
I found it on their site!!  THANKS!!

I have used the overthe counter replacment 1615 and it works ok but not very durable.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:21:38 PM »
Yeah, before I went through the process of calling Krylon direct to get that information, I tried to order it through Global Industries, they said they had it so I ordered it, two weeks later, nothing had shown up at my house ....................
Jason

Thanks for the up date. Temped to order some at different places to see if there are options other than direct from Krylon. Guessing that there is likely little cost savings on such a inexpensive item. At least you've provided where it can currently be found. See the same challenges on other forums such as the GM guys of different models.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
I'm curious how this compares to Dupli-Color DE1635? This particular black is a very nice semi-gloss and covers very well. We've been selling it for years.

I could easily replace it with the Krylon (all owned by the same company), but I always found the Dupli-Color to be as good...probably better. It's also rated as an engine paint withstanding heat up to 500 degrees.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
I'm curious how this compares to Dupli-Color DE1635? This particular black is a very nice semi-gloss and covers very well. We've been selling it for years.

I could easily replace it with the Krylon (all owned by the same company), but I always found the Dupli-Color to be as good...probably better. It's also rated as an engine paint withstanding heat up to 500 degrees.

Not sure of how to quantify the comparison. Its been a standard and a go to for likely tens of thousands if not more hobbyist over the past 30 years. I think you would do well offering it in combination with the Dupli-Color just based on it being a known and recognizable product for so many
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

Re: Krylon Semi-Flat
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »
Here's photos of the box, can, bottom of the can numbers and UPC code, should be all you need to be sure to get the correct stuff.

Hope this helps,

Jason