Author Topic: Front/Rear glass S.S. moldings  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Angela

Front/Rear glass S.S. moldings
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »
Does anyone have a "how to" article they could share concerning installation of the 67-68 clips & stainless steel glass moldings? I'm not very good at finding the right search strings to find previously discussed topics in this form (I usually use google "glass moldings site:www.concoursmustang.com").

I found a couple you tube videos that were blurry and I couldn't tell how they were installing the clips. It appeared that getting the bottom and top trim pieces was tricky, meaning that once the clips engaged you couldn't slide the trim left or right. I also read that it's very easy to damage paint unless you have someone to help you. I don't have help, so I'm pausing to post this in hopes of learning more before I try it alone.

I have my stainless all polished up and I have new clips from AMK. I just need some advice concerning how to install these pieces. Thanks.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Front/Rear glass S.S. moldings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
Angela...I am about to embark on the same task and look forward to any replies that you receive.  From watching youtube, I learned that it is a good idea to mark, with tape, where the clips are located so efforts to "clip" the molding are concentrated at the right location.  Mustangs to fear suggested that the clips be flattened slightly before installation.  He explains that flattening the clips makes it easier to "clip" the molding.  I haven't done this yet, so I don't know if flattening is a good suggestion or even necessary.

I also learned to use tape around the perimeter.  This makes me nervous as I don't want the tape to peel the paint. Fortunately for me, the car I am working on has a vinyl top, so I only have to be concerned about the paint on one edge. However, I can't help but think the vinyl top will pose its own challenges with the extra thickness.

Again, I look forward to any suggestions the experts can offer.

Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Just put in the back glass and did the windshield a while back. Watched tons of videos and Mustangs to Fear (2 parts) I thought was best. Windshield was a little trickier, but the suggestion to slightly loosen the tension on the clips allowed most of the trim to snap in without extreme potentially damaging pressure. Marking the clip locations with tape is a GOOD idea since you can't always see the exact locations when you are snapping in the trim. Paint shouldn't peel with blue tape. With vinyl you have to be careful with the sharp edges on the trim and if you use a block to tap the trim into place so you don't nick the vinyl. Also had to clear the vinyl a little wider around the clip studs but other than that did not find that the vinyl posed any particular challenges. Here's the link to the MtF video

12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
It's a good idea to test fit the moldings on the clips before the glass goes in.  There really is no adjustment on the clips, the moldings only fit in one position.  This would an opportunity to make sure your clips are nice and tight so there are no surprises when the glass is in.

As others have mentioned, use lots of tape to keep from scratching/chipping paint.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:29:10 PM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
Thank you....temperatures are supposed to be a little warmer this weekend so I might get to install the glass.  Any thoughts on which glass would be easier to start with - front or rear?

I didn't realize the moldings could be test fitted without the rubber/glass in place.  Thank you Charles.

Lastly, any advice or recommendation on the size nylon pull rope?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:38:13 PM by mtinkham »
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Wow, thanks a ton for the mustangs-to-fear video link! Very helpful, specifically the part about relieving stress from the molding clips.
At about 1 minute, 45 seconds into the video (link above), the installer discusses bending these clips. He then shows use of a tool to aid installing these clips. Is anyone familiar with this tool and where to purchase one?

Offline Chris Thauberger

• Quality is doing it right when no one is watching
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
You can probably get it almost anywhere. I made my own out of 3/4: square nylon.

I buy the nylon at a scrap yard and have made a few cool tools.

Chris

Offline Angela

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »
"You can probably get it almost anywhere. "    Um, OK, what's the tool called? I've done some searching but all I find are the clip removal tools, not an installation tool.
I did see a 4-pc kit from Harbor freight, but it's not clear to me if this would work: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-windshield-door-trim-tool-set-38386.html

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
door panel clip tool works perfect
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »
door panel clip tool works perfect

+1  Even 2 flat tip screwdrivers held together can do the trick.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris Thauberger

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:02 PM »
You should by the tools from Harbor Freight.

Tool #2 can be used to install the clips and tool #3 is used to remove the molding once installed.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:35:29 AM by Chris Thauberger »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 12:27:39 AM »
What ever metal tool you select, wrap electrical tape around the area that comes in contact with the car. You'll thank me later.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:06:29 AM »
Lisle door panel tool available at O'Reilly

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/35400/N1693.oap?ck=Search_N1693_-1_-1&pt=N1693&ppt=C0063

Perfect fit for the clips
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline Chris Thauberger

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »
What ever metal tool you select, wrap electrical tape around the area that comes in contact with the car. You'll thank me later.
Jim

This is why I use the nylon home made tool.

I just installed both front and back windows and moldings. It looks like a big job but don't be intimidated. Take your time and don't be in a rush. If it takes two day then it takes two days. If the moldings don't snap in with ease there is a reason. It could be anything from a bent molding edge to something behind the molding or a clip twisted. Go slow.  There is no need to pound on the molding to get it to snap in place.

Keep in mind installing the clips after the window/rubber gasket are in place is much more difficult that installing them before the window goes in.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:37:40 AM by Chris Thauberger »

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
Thank you...excellent advice.