Author Topic: Front/Rear glass S.S. moldings  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Angela

Re: Front/Rear glass S.S. moldings
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
I started down the path of installing molding clips, hoping to install the molding last weekend. I didn't get very far, yet thought I'd post what I learned.

The MTF video (link above, watch both part I and II) was useful, I followed the advice about relieving a little stress from the clips and I think that will help a lot.  The second video discusses use of a urethane sealer between the outside surface of the glass and the rubber seal. I had not sealed this surface and am now wondering if I should. Actually, since I found black sealer underneath both sets of original molding I own, I have a couple questions:
(a) Did the factory apply sealant between the body and the glass rubber (the void where the clips reside) and if so, what are you guys using?
(b) Is it recommended, as in the MTF video, to seal the rubber to the glass on the outside surfaces? If yes, do you agree with the urethane recommendation?

In the meantime, I test fitted all of my polished moldings and found that I had more fitment issues that I recall before I started polishing. The worst fitment issue I found was with the front glass, the bottom molding.... the curvature of the (original Ford, but not original to this car) piece I used isn't even close. I went back to my original lower molding and the curvature much more closely matches the car. That piece had a few dings, but I guess I'll start removing dings and polishing that piece. Ugh.... polishing these things takes forever!

On the rear glass, I also wasted a bunch of time before I realized the *longer* of the two horizontal pieces goes at the BOTTOM. :-) That little tidbit might save someone some time. :-)

Offline Chris Thauberger

• Quality is doing it right when no one is watching
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
Angela

The AM calls for the same sealant used in the gasket grove to be applied around the gasket after the window and gasket are installed. Its the same soft Butyl sealant.

Urethane was used when the manufacturers started relying on the window glass to be structural. Its the same idea as drywall. The studs by themselves are not as strong as after the sheetrock is installed. Engineers refer to it a tension and compression.

I have read many threads where people are using urethane on a car with a rubber window gasket. I'm not going to entertain the reasons except to say that's not the way it was done from the factory.

I did it the way the AM showed it. Personally I found that it went in easily and cleans up easily with a dry rag, just as the manufacturer recommends.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:54:41 PM by Chris Thauberger »

Offline Angela

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
Chris, thanks for the response. I try hard to follow the concours path.... but man is the 3M bedding & glazing compound messy!... I hate that it never dries. Is this the same stuff you used?

Offline Chris Thauberger

• Quality is doing it right when no one is watching
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »
I'm sure its the same stuff. The fact that is takes a long time to dry(years) is why it works so well. Also you have a larger window of opportunity to clean it off. If you see some you missed in a month grab a rag and wipe. Believe me, butyl is far easier to clean up than urethane.

As indicated on the back use a dry rag to clean up

I always go around first with a plastic scraper to remove most of the excess compound, then start rubbing off the remaining compound with cotton rags(old shirts cut up). Don't use paper towel. The trick here is LOTS of small rags.  ;) Keep the clean part of the rag against the glass. When is stops removing compound, turn the rag over or inside out as needed.  I usually tackle an area about 4 inches long with each of these mini rags, then grab a new one and keep going. As I said previously it takes time and patience.

All tolled I spent about three hours installing my back and front windows. I'm not as young as I used to be so laying across the fold down and wiping over my head is slow going at times. As a matter of fact I quit about two weeks ago and I still need to get back in there and do one final wipe.  Another hour and I should be done.

If you find it difficult to remove from the rubber gasket you can use a rag dampened with mineral spirits and then wipe with a dry rag.

I used about 100 of these small rags to do both my front and back windows. Special thanks to the little woman for cutting them up although I am missing one of my favorite old shirts.  :(

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:02:06 PM by Chris Thauberger »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
Simon, my glass guy, says 3M 08509 is the stuff to use on older Mustangs (he has a few).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the application techniques for the 3M 08509.
I cannot tell, from the assembly manual, did Ford also apply bedding compound/sealer to (a) the surface between glass rubber seal & the body, specifically where the molding clips reside?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
Best to find out about molding fit issues now before stringing in the glass and mucking up everything with bedding compound.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Best to find out about molding fit issues now before stringing in the glass and mucking up everything with bedding compound.

(see reply #15)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments