Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Upper control arm shafts

(1/3) > >>

3ponies:
Where do I find correct upper control arm shaft and bushings with correct o-rings for 68 GT/CS. Rebuilding arms and can only find shafts with bushings with rubber on on outside of arms. Also what are the correct ball joints to use (side zerk or bottom). Probably posted this in the wrong area originally, posted in general discussion.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 3ponies on February 17, 2017, 01:02:33 PM ---Where do I find correct upper control arm shaft and bushings with correct o-rings for 68 GT/CS. Rebuilding arms and can only find shafts with bushings with rubber on on outside of arms. Also what are the correct ball joints to use (side zerk or bottom).

--- End quote ---

For the upper ball joints the provision for the zert (though a plug was installed not a zert originally) was on the side of the upper part of the ball joint - aligning with the cut out in the top of the upper a arm

Sorry haven't had to purchase any of the shafts recently but would look at what Moog is offering and yes the internal o rings is what your looking for rather than the exterior boot

3ponies:
Thanks much, Have not had any luck finding correct control arm shafts with o rings from major parts distributors. NPD shows pics of correct shaft online but when I recieved shipment they had the grease seal on outside, the same with all the Moogs.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 3ponies on February 18, 2017, 09:17:04 AM ---Thanks much, Have not had any luck finding correct control arm shafts with o rings from major parts distributors. NPD shows pics of correct shaft online but when I recieved shipment they had the grease seal on outside, the same with all the Moogs.

--- End quote ---

YUPP! That's what I have found also. Even some NOS Ford replacement control arms can have different-looking pieces (end caps for example). A difficult detail to "get it right" in looks while repairing any "slop".

FWIW, on a non-driven restoration, a person 'could' mix original parts up a bit, install new 'O'-rings and achieve satisfactory results if perhaps the shafts or ends are not worn too much. I probably WOULD NOT mix up parts & pieces from different makers or even originals if it were a "driven" restoration. I doubt the bushings would remain "snug" over time of use (mileage of use).

Size of upper control arm shaft O-rings is: 3/16" THICK 11/16" I D - 1,1/16" O D

3ponies:
My thoughts also. thought about just replacing the shaft and using old bushings with new o-rings (currently avaliable), but I'M not sure about mixing parts on driven resto.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version