Author Topic: History of my Mustang  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Tiny

History of my Mustang
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »
Hi all, I'm aware that there are no records available for the 1966 Mustang such as the Marti Report etc, however is it possible to try and track down from a VIN number any history of the car such as previous owner etc.  I know here in Australia any vehicle can be searched via a VIN number and the previous registered owners details would be available.
I have searched some online sites in the USA but no luck.  In most cases the web sites state that there are not enough numbers in the VIN.  My car was manufactured in San Jose and had a DSO 72 which I'm pretty sure the car stayed in California all its life before being imported to Australia.  Would local Law Enforcement have the previous owner on their data base?

The VIN is, 6R07A121589

If anyone can assist it would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Mark
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: History of my Mustang
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
.....I have searched some online sites in the USA but no luck.  In most cases the web sites state that there are not enough numbers in the VIN.  My car was manufactured in San Jose and had a DSO 72 which I'm pretty sure the car stayed in California all its life before being imported to Australia.  Would local Law Enforcement have the previous owner on their data base?
[/quote]

If you were going to contact local law enforcement your would need to know what city or county the car was licensed in. But they would not have any record of the car unless it was involved in a crime or taken in a crime. DMV is the agency that would have tracked the ownership and licensing, The problem is that cars are regularly dropped out of the system after 5 or so years of no activity. Millions of cars in Calif so they do this to keep the data manageable. Even if they had records they would not be available to you due to laws that limit sharing any records due to privacy and stalker laws on the state books

Also California dealers are well know (unlike old family owned dealerships of the midwest and east) of finding no benefit of keeping old records or sales information

Unless you find a registration a business card or insurance policy information that has fallen between, under or behind something in your car I think its going to be a deadend

Some have chosen to hire private investigators but I have no idea if that would be successful

Any idea (maybe a license plate frame) what dealer it was sold through originally?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:02:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »
The VIN you provided looks accurate for the number of digits/numbers.  What the website was trying to say is that this VIN doesn't conform to the more modern standardized VIN sequence.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Tiny

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated for posting the reply
C6, PS, A/C

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Mark,
I can tell you this, your car's VIN is about 200 less than my 66 GT Fastback, so it's a good chance they were on the line at the same time.
Do you know when your car was imported to Australia, and by who? 
Also look for service stickers on the door frame.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Tiny

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
Hi Jim, thanks for making contact.  My car was imported into Australia December 2009 by Hills Mustangs & Classics, Sydney.  The car has been sold twice since then with me being the second owner since it has been imported.  I'm glad you have made contact because the Door Tag information I believe is not quite correct.  It has definitely got a repo tag with which all seems correct except for the build date.  From my research I believe the car was built around October/November 65 going by the Steering box tag, serial number and other numbers on the panels.  Would this be correct given that your serial number is close to mine.

Also the other issue is the Diff ratio mentioned on the door tag.  Going by information I can find there is no '7' for a 66.  Can you assist?

Hope you can assist

Mark
C6, PS, A/C

Offline Josep

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Hi Mark,

check also for numbers in the engine main block, manifolds, transmission, rear axle, etc...
Going for the door tag, your scheduled build date was June 6th, 5 days before my 200cid Hardtop.

Josep
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
Also the other issue is the Diff ratio mentioned on the door tag.  Going by information I can find there is no '7' for a 66.  Can you assist?
Mark,
Looking at the rivets holding on the door data plate, the plate is most likely a reproduction, and a poor one at that looking at the actual stamped letters. Is that a clear cover over the plate?
My recommendations (corrections in bold type):
Body - 63A (Hardtop, standard bucket seats); Color - 8 (Springtime Yellow); Interior - 26 (Black Vinyl); Date 18K (the date of my "K" Fastback, as close as any scheduled date);
D.S.O. 72 (San Jose); Axle - 1 (standard for "A" code engines); Transmission - 6 (a C4 three speed automatic).
Marti Auto http://www.martiauto.com/ would be a good place to get a new door data plate.
Even more critical, the sheet metal around the door latch is cracked. There are replacement screws with a large washer for short term repairs, but I strongly recommend you go to a local body shop and have the cracks welded, the welds ground down, primed and painted. The window, the rear window track and door latching mechanism must be removed to do this. Check the other door frame as well.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »

Locate the tag that should be on the rearend. Its likely the original if there. Looks like whomever made the door tag was using codes from other time periods. Not unusual especially in the 80-90's

Looking at the rivets holding on the door data plate, the plate is most likely a reproduction, and a poor one at that looking at the actual stamped letters. ...................

Certainly a repo so any information may be suspect except for engine things that match the VIN
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:45:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Tiny

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
Champion!  That's exactly the information I needed and confirms my thoughts.  This is a great Forum and thanks all for your very quick responses.
As I continue with my restoration no doubt I will have many other questions so I would be happy to receive further information.

Thanks Jim for the info re the codes (Axle-Build date), this really helps me out.

Jeff I will have a look at the rear end and see if I can located a tag.  I assume it may look something like the tag on the Steering Box.

Cheers guys
Mark
C6, PS, A/C

Offline Tiny

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
Thought I would share a picture of my 66.

Cheers
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »

Jeff I will have a look at the rear end and see if I can located a tag.  I assume it may look something like the tag on the Steering Box.

Looks similar - bottom line - first part of the printing will indicate gear ratio and if its an open rear end

Something like  2.78  or  3L50

Tag attached under one of the mounting nuts that holds the third member to the housing normally passenger side or up at the top - of course  ::)
Jeff Speegle