Author Topic: Paint Inspection Stamps - 66 NJ  (Read 1768 times)

Offline rrenz

Paint Inspection Stamps - 66 NJ
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »
Im looking to have some "paint ok" stamps made for my Jan NJ coupe. From what I've gathered I should have two different names. One on the cowl for the unibody paint then another on the inner fenders for parts painted off the car. Im curious if anyone has some rough dimensions of these stamps? Im going to pull my front headlight buckets off and see if I can find some original markings for inspector names. In the event I cannot find any is there an "acceptable" list of names to utilize? It appears that these were all done in yellow ink. Being that my car is springtime yellow would that of changed where they may of been placed? any other suggestions are certainly welcome  :) Thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:20:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint Inspection Stamps - 66 NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
Im looking to have some "paint ok" stamps made for my Jan NJ coupe. From what I've gathered I should have two different names. One on the cowl for the unibody paint then another on the inner fenders for parts painted off the car.

First be aware that "stock fonts" or modern fonts will match the original fonts used.

Yes like other plants one inspector would inspect the unibody and a different one would inspect the parts that were painted off the car in another part of the plant. Only certain of those were normally stamped
The cowl of the  unibody wasn't the place where all 66 NJ cars were stamped - it seemed to vary allot at that plant from original examples and its not unusual to find the unibody stamped multiple times

I'm curious if anyone has some rough dimensions of these stamps? Im going to pull my front headlight buckets off and see if I can find some original markings for inspector names. In the event I cannot find any is there an "acceptable" list of names to utilize? It appears that these were all done in yellow ink.

Will have to take a measurement. Remember that final size is very different from stamp size. You have to consider expansion/compression of the stamp surface, slippage and media buildup on the edges of each letter. Because of this you often see stamps reproduced much larger than what was originally done. Then one guy will loan that stamp out, the next will stamp it and use that copy to make another stamp and so on. Pretty soon its not even close

There are names we can identify as working that year

Being that my car is springtime yellow would that of changed where they may of been placed?

No have examples of springtime yellow 66 NJ cars that were stamped yellow over the spring time yellow. Remember the yellow used for the estamps was a very different color/tint
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:21:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »
Very helpful thanks. I went looking around my headlights for any sign of a stamping and couldn't come up with any names. From another thread I pulled the names KBROWN, REECE and VENTRIGLIA. Names were on a 66 NJ DEC 65 build. Figured I would utilize some of these names.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:21:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »
RRENZ.

This should assist you with the question about what colour stamp was used on a springtime yellow NJ car and give you another paint inspector name that was used around your December 1965 build date.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:21:27 PM by J_Speegle »
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »
RRENZ.

This should assist you with the question about what colour stamp was used on a springtime yellow NJ car and give you another paint inspector name that was used around your December 1965 build date.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

I've also seen "Martz" in white in the center of the underhood structure of an Ivy Green '66 convertible. Unfortunately I can't provide the scheduled date. My Silver Blue Oct '65 fastback had "Conger" in yellow (to add another name). It was on top of the right apron.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:21:32 PM by J_Speegle »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Building 3

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »
Here is what I have on my Springtime Yellow, Metuchen convertible, October 1965. "Adam" is to the right of the washer nozzle as you look at the car. "Martz" is in the center of the hood on the inner hood panel reinforcement. As you look at it with the hood open it is upside down as in the photo. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:21:37 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
Awesome. Good to see on the yellow. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
For others reading this thread and considering applying information shared here to another year production - Please don't patterns, people and details changed and often do not apply to other periods of production even at the same plant

A few names I came up with from examples during 66.  If you gathered enough you might be able to identify when a worker was hired or promoted (into or away) from one of these positions

Ventriglia
Martz
Sasway
Kerwin
Biddle
Payne

Jeff Speegle

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:09:20 PM »
Here's mine for the list Jeff. As stated above, "Conger". My car details are in my signature (the Oct. '65 scheduled date Fastback). Found after scrapping paint on the right front apron near the shock tower.

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
JEFF.

I am able to add a few other inspector markings that I have noticed on late 65 through top mid 66 production x NJ.
these examples have been taken from original paint cars.

KEEFE
C SPARE#1
#3 ?_ AE

All of the examples I have catalogued are yellow in colour no matter what the exterior paint colour of car and these stamps have been located in many areas some not visible till the car has been dissasembled

regards,

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline sgl66

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
More about these stamps on this thread http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6230.15

I have a Ventriglia on the cowl, not sure what was on the fenders
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline rrenz

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
One thing I'm still curious about are locations. I've seen the stamps on both fenders,only one fender,on the apron and on the actual fender lip. Obviously this wasn't a precision type event however Are there more "acceptable" locations that should be considered
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
One thing I'm still curious about are locations. I've seen the stamps on both fenders,only one fender,on the apron and on the actual fender lip. Obviously this wasn't a precision type event however Are there more "acceptable" locations that should be considered

If you match the name with the location - along with when the car was suppose to be build you might find identifiable patterns since humans are creatures of habit

If you do this with a large enough sample you can be surprised how consistent most are likely due to the age, height and other factors that can come into play.
Jeff Speegle