Author Topic: Fender Bolt Washer  (Read 3414 times)

Offline rrenz

Fender Bolt Washer
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
Looking for the correct finish. Im assuming this washer is factory as I've seen it on a few other cars. First fender bolt near the cowl has a large washer under it. First of all is this supposed to be there and second of all would that of also been P/O? thanks
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Fender Bolt Washer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
Yes, that is possible during the time your car was built.  I can't give a definite answer on washer, but what I have seen looks like phosphate.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:10:08 AM »
Looking for the correct finish. Im assuming this washer is factory as I've seen it on a few other cars. First fender bolt near the cowl has a large washer under it. First of all is this supposed to be there and second of all would that of also been P/O? thanks
It's a fender adjustment washer used to raise the fender to the level of the cowl. It's vague as to how many "might" be used, the most I've seen was two.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
It's a fender adjustment washer used to raise the fender to the level of the cowl. It's vague as to how many "might" be used, the most I've seen was two.
Jim
I have seen 2 washers at the rear on several cars...including mine. One normal and one larger diameter. Both are on top of the fender and I don't recall there being any under it.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
so whats the purpose of the washers ON TOP of the fender?
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
Jim

He's referring to a washer at the bolt, not a shim.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
so whats the purpose of the washers ON TOP of the fender?

Seems it was just something done during production around that time.  Maybe a new guy that thought that's how it was supposed to be done?  Or, maybe there were issues with the fenders at the time?  Hard to say for sure.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
He's referring to a washer at the bolt, not a shim.
First fender bolt near the cowl has a large washer under it. First of all is this supposed to be there and second of all would that of also been P/O? thanks
As far as I know, all "fender" bolts in the early Mustang era were of the assembled washer type, the washer was not easily removed, and were of two basic types, an external toothed type, and a disc washer with small "teeth" under the outer edge. A second washer under a fender bolt and above the fender was not normal. There were larger flat washers, 44725-S2 - 1 1/4in dia, under the fender at the last bolt used as shims. That what I based my initial statement on.
Seems it was just something done during production around that time.  Maybe a new guy that thought that's how it was supposed to be done?  Or, maybe there were issues with the fenders at the time?  Hard to say for sure.
Several likely possibilities, and without factory documentation or the deviation noted in judging rules, all are incorrect.
If I were judging that area and saw this situation, I would note its location and deduct points accordantly with a note - not factory. Are judges supposed to judge cars to a standard, or judge undocumented exceptions?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »
It's an unusual item Jim, I can see the confusion... see attached pic.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
It's an unusual item Jim, I can see the confusion... see attached pic.

that would be what I currently have. I removed that washer today. It appears as though it has definitely been on there since day one. The car has been repainted however all metal is still original. My bolts had been painted over. When i replaced them i never pulled those washers due to that fact and not knowing if they were supposed to be there or not. Under that washer was what appears to be original paint.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »
As far as I know, all "fender" bolts in the early Mustang era were of the assembled washer type, the washer was not easily removed, and were of two basic types, an external toothed type, and a disc washer with small "teeth" under the outer edge. A second washer under a fender bolt and above the fender was not normal. ........

Depends on the plant and time period - the double washer was very normal IMHO given the specific application which is different from the other two plants

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
It almost appears as these were bare metal or zinc?
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »
It almost appears as these were bare metal or zinc?

Doesn't look zinc to me but who can tell from pictures of exposed metal and surfaces after all these years. Would suggest that testing be done to confirm
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
The last pic in Jeff's post would support a phosphate finish.  Note that the bolt is non-original...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
Happen to have good close-ups of that particular car and the passenger side rear as well as the one of the center fender bolts

Not sure if that is paint on the larger washer or just angle and old finish

Jeff Speegle