Author Topic: Lower radiator hose clamp  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Lower radiator hose clamp
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:20 PM »
What would/should be the correct orientation be of the hose clamp on the radiator hose at the radiator itself? Should the tower be facing up, down, angled, or side ways? Would someone have been tightening it from the top or from the bottom of the car? I'm sure it doesn't matter but thought I would ask. For GTOAA they do actually take off points if they don't face the right way.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Lower radiator hose clamp
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »
Guessing this is a 65 San Jose car your looking for the answer too.

If so here is a period picture - not very clear but its the only one from 65 that I have

Looks to be down and angled towards the center of the car

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:49:50 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:29:48 AM »
Thanks Jeff!
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
That's REALLY nitpicky if you get deducted for the clamp not facing the right way!
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
I would think that the hoses were attached to the engine when it was installed and that both hose to radiator installations (radiator clamp preinstalled on hose?) were done by one worker from the top. The orientation would be more or less up, with a possible "orientation" to the right on V-8 engines to clear an optional fan shroud. An I-6 would be "oriented" to the left for the same reason.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
That's REALLY nitpicky if you get deducted for the clamp not facing the right way!

It's kind of like the gas filler hose clamp orientation.  Should be a certain way for a reason.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
+1 to Jim's response on the hoses already being attached. I remember seeing an engine drop photo of an early Mustang and finally found it. In this photo the radiator hoses were on the engine before the drop but I'm not seeing any clamps. Of course not sure which plant and I'm guessing techniques could easily be different.
 The second pic is from the Martha and the Vandellas video of I believe Dearborn, which in this case is incorrect but again, no clamps on the hoses while being installed..

My 2 cents.. I prefer facing down towards center (4 o'clock position) as Jeff said as this is away from the fan blade, any shroud, and actually easier to tighten up for me.  :o
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
The first pic is San Jose and it is one of several pics taken during the mock runs to test out the assembly procedure.  It's probably not a great reference item since it's not during 'real' production.  Note there are no other cars on the line...

Facing down is more logical and most likely done by a worker in the pit.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »
Facing down is more logical and most likely done by a worker in the pit.
Two separate, similar operations preformed on an assembly line by two different workers is not logical. Oh wait, it's a union shop.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:28 PM »
+1 to Jim's response on the hoses already being attached. I remember seeing an engine drop photo of an early Mustang and finally found it. In this photo the radiator hoses were on the engine before the drop but I'm not seeing any clamps. ............o

That not a picture of the "real" assembly"  We've discussed that set of pictures over in the other section of the site and it appears that that is a pictures of the setting up and testing of the line prior to the start of production. Would not be surprising that by the 20th time through the process with the same body workers skipped a few details here or there especially if they were only testing major points or problem areas as they worked out timing and positioning

Take a look at the 68 engine drop pictures - there is that small block engine installation that used the tower clamps- for later cars or 66 San Jose on examples with the stapled hose clamps there was not an option. Clamps had to be installed with the hose and it could only be positioned in one direction since they were stapled on to the hose
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »

Happens all the time - But your comment does bring up an opportunity to post something I've been waiting to post.  Will do that in the next day or so ;)
Jeff Speegle