Author Topic: 69 Fastback/Sportroof Trunk Panel Question  (Read 1838 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
69 Fastback/Sportroof Trunk Panel Question
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:52:01 AM »
This is looking from in the trunk forward, the rear seat hatch to trunk would be on the right. Should that gap in the panel and the trunk floor be filled with something? I'm looking in the parts catalogs and not seeing anything.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:42:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Fastback/Sportroof Trunk Panel Question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:37:36 AM »
This is looking from in the trunk forward, the rear seat hatch to trunk would be on the right. Should that gap in the panel and the trunk floor be filled with something? I'm looking in the parts catalogs and not seeing anything.

Looks like the trunk floor was possibly replaced and at least one bracket was not welded back to the car (would check the passenger side also)

Passenger side bracket for same purpose gap between panels can vary allot but they are designed that way to support where the more important visible outer panels align as they should

This gap and seam is often covered with a heavy spray sealant making seeing the panels and brackets difficult on an assembled car if its a fold down car but not impossible

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:43:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Both trunk floors were replaced. Are these parts available or do I make them?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:43:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Both trunk floors were replaced. Are these parts available or do I make them?

I don't know - sorry. Never had to replace them. Maybe they are listed in one of the catalog companies possibly made but I don't know. :(

Going to separate this topic from the thread so it will get some additional eyes on it and make it easier for others to find in the future.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:42:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
I've had a couple over on VMF tell me theirs are like mine, with no support. I have also found this one on the web

http://www.forristalls.com/1969%20Shelby%20Hertz%20GT%20350/1969_shelby_gt_350_main_2.html

Thoughts?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:47 PM »
I've had a couple over on VMF tell me theirs are like mine, with no support. I have also found this one on the web

Thoughts?

First thought would be to go back to basics

When was your car built?

We all ready know where yours was built, but do you know when and where the other examples were?

Have their cars been "restored" or rebuilt?   

How are their rear fold down brackets formed or attached since that piece (in the pictures I posted) are part of those brackets

Just the basic stuff you start with once you find differences. Seems odd that with a unibody you would have such a gap and no reinforcement nor attachment

With that we can again go back to unrestored examples if we have pictures and double check it all

Jeff Speegle

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
For those that do not know, mine (1982) had a build date of 04/14/69. From the Marti report and the SAAC Registry of the one pictured (1984), has a build date of 04/15/69, one day after mine. 1984 is an exact copy of mine down to it also being a Hertz car. This advertisement is possibly from 3/13/13.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 06:10:14 PM »
For those that do not know, mine (1982) had a build date of 04/14/69................

Looked quickly through my pictures and choose a couple of cars. Pictures are rarely perfect since they are not often taken of the detail you are now looking for

All the pictures below are from non-fold down cars This one from just before your car was built and from Dearborn (9F1810xx)

These two examples were built a week to two weeks after your car same plant both non Fold down cars   ( 9F1864xx & 9F1967xx)

Jeff Speegle