Author Topic: Correct Tyres(tires) for 67 Mustang  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Rossco

Correct Tyres(tires) for 67 Mustang
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
Hi I have a 1967 Mustang A code Fastback from San Jose Marti Report says black wall tyres on 14 inch steel wheels with the wire wheel covers

Just wanted to ask what you guys were using at the shows regarding tyre selection/make/tyre sizes

Ross
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:58:47 AM by carlite65 »

Offline Norcal87

Re: Correct Tyres(tires) for 67 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:22 AM »
195 75 14

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:21:31 PM »
If you use modern style tires and sizes they would not be correct for a show setting and we would expect that if judged you will receive a measured and appropriate deduction for these non-factory choices.

A related discussion we recently had here on the site - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15486.0

Instead consider tires made by one of the reproducers, that is why they make them ;)  such as Coker or Kellsey Hayes. They are available directly or through one of the resellers/dealers

http://www.kelseytire.com/home.html

https://www.cokertire.com/

The challenge it that there is not one (as far as I can tell) perfect answer but instead closer to the goal, options.  As mentioned in other treads, for black wall, the option of blacking out a white wall and installing the tires so that the non-covered side is to the inside of the car.  Tire size is also a challenge but I think you need to make a list of what is available and compare those to what was originally installed and make the education decision from that point.

In a quick look I see

- Black wall Firestones in 7.50 x 14 so the height is a little off but most of the other details would work
- White wall or dual red striped Goodyear in 6.95 x 14 so good size but the stripes (might start with the red lines) would need addressing......

Hopefully other members will offer the choice they made with the same goal in mind.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
Jeff, do you know if talking to one of the above companys about making a desired tire reproduction works or has it ever worked in your experience ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
Jeff, do you know if talking to one of the above company's about making a desired tire reproduction works or has it ever worked in your experience ?

Have only had discussions with Mr Kelsey at the Mid-America meet over the years, as have other members here. He repetitively shows up in person and always ready to discuss issues and details.

I believe the only reason he does make some of the Shelby tires is because of discussions with the owners and hobbyist.  Examples of threads like this along with owners making their needs known is possibly the only or best way to demonstrate the need, especially if you can research and find other car makes and models that need the same tire and size
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:28:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
I think if your looking just to drive the car and go to local shows I think the BFG 205/70/14s look great

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
I think if your looking just to drive the car and go to local shows I think the BFG 205/70/14s look great

Yes but not correct - the question and focus here  ;) BFG will not look original plus without modification can cause clearance issues with the fenders as they did in 67. There is a Technical Service Bulletin covered in another thread where Ford had dealers modify fender lips on cars in stock and they changed things at the factory because of the problem and owner complaints 
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
...There is a Technical Service Bulletin covered in another thread where Ford had dealers modify fender lips on cars in stock and they changed things at the factory because of the problem and owner complaints

Could you point towards the TSB in the other thread? I'm trying to decide "who" modified my 67 for clearance, perhaps the dealer since my delivery date was October '67?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:52:55 AM »
I had good luck with 195/75/14 kumoho

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »
I had good luck with 195/75/14 kumoho

For showing???  Know the concours judging isn't a regular thing in your area but doubt they would even let those pass inspection    ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »
Yea but nice white wall tire for a car guy budget 😎

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »
... There is a Technical Service Bulletin covered in another thread where Ford had dealers modify fender lips on cars in stock and they changed things at the factory because of the problem and owner complaints 
Could you point towards the TSB in the other thread? I'm trying to decide "who" modified my 67 for clearance, perhaps the dealer since my delivery date was October '67?

I still haven't found the TSB for the modified clearance issue on the '67's
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
I still haven't found the TSB for the modified clearance issue on the '67's

Located it and it was published in a Special Service Bulletin and in the Confidential Meeting notes of the National Service Manager's Advisory Committee. Trying to figure out how to present it in a thread. Will likely start a new one. Been allot of questions (and some things here at home to deal with) this last week to respond to ;)  but haven't forgotten the request
Jeff Speegle