Author Topic: 68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts  (Read 300 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
I'm stuck on a question with my steering column bracket. 68 New Jersey car with tilt away column.

The lower bracket that attaches the column to the dash has 3 sets of holes. The holes closest to the front accommodate the double threaded studs that attach to the brake pedal support. The next set of holes are for the studs that are attached to the upper bracket. That leaves the third set of holes...the rear most set...I missing the hardware for for those bolts holes and the AMK kit for attaching the column didn't include them.

In looking at the assembly drawings, they definitely show that something goes in those spots but I can't make out what it is supposed to be....have also checked the hardware spreadsheet in the Forum library and can't figure it out there either.

Can anyone provide guidance as to the bolt/nut combo that is used in that spot? The other holes use 5/16 hardware but the third set looks larger.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:28:50 PM by OldMustangGuy »

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
Here is a picture of our 68 with tilt. It appears that the hardware is the same, possibly longer studs. I may have a set off a car at my shop. I'll check latter.
Marty

Offline OldMustangGuy

Re: 68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »
From the bottom the third bolt looks to be same diameter as the other two but, from other pictures that I've found taken from the other side,  it appears that the bolt has a large round head...kind of like a carriage bolt...still not sure of its length though.