Author Topic: 68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts  (Read 1207 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
I'm stuck on a question with my steering column bracket. 68 New Jersey car with tilt away column.

The lower bracket that attaches the column to the dash has 3 sets of holes. The holes closest to the front accommodate the double threaded studs that attach to the brake pedal support. The next set of holes are for the studs that are attached to the upper bracket. That leaves the third set of holes...the rear most set...I missing the hardware for for those bolts holes and the AMK kit for attaching the column didn't include them.

In looking at the assembly drawings, they definitely show that something goes in those spots but I can't make out what it is supposed to be....have also checked the hardware spreadsheet in the Forum library and can't figure it out there either.

Can anyone provide guidance as to the bolt/nut combo that is used in that spot? The other holes use 5/16 hardware but the third set looks larger.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:28:50 PM by OldMustangGuy »

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Steering Column Support Bracket Bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
Here is a picture of our 68 with tilt. It appears that the hardware is the same, possibly longer studs. I may have a set off a car at my shop. I'll check latter.
Marty

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »
From the bottom the third bolt looks to be same diameter as the other two but, from other pictures that I've found taken from the other side,  it appears that the bolt has a large round head...kind of like a carriage bolt...still not sure of its length though.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 05:27:19 PM »
I know this has been a while, but I'm retrofitting a 68 collapsible column to my modified 65 and found this interesting. The pic may well be of use to others.
If you have a 60-68 MPC you can find this pic in the Illustration section near the rear.

The column has two freedom of movements. Toward the driver are two aluminum inserts that would allow the column to collapse toward the firewall if the driver hit the column hard.
There are two studs on the dash and a nut with built-in washer that holds this section together.

The two bolts in the middle hold the upper and lower column bracket in place.

The furthest toward the firewall is for the 3676 bracket. This bracket has a bolt that connects to the brake/clutch pedal support in the middle top. This bracket also has two studs that may be part of the bracket. Those are the studs with washer/nuts the OP references.

Pic attached. [edit -- add WestCoastClassicCougar pic of part you can buy (for cheap)!]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:43:12 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion