Author Topic: 67 vacuum tee  (Read 2732 times)

Offline ruppstang

67 vacuum tee
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »
I am working on a 1967 Dearborn S code non smog built 2-15-67. This car has a C6 automatic, tilt column,PB and AC, there are not enough ports on the vacuum  manifold for all of them. The 67 vacuum manual shows a tee that was used just behind the vacuum manifold. Is this tee plastic or brass?

Offline jwc66k

Re: 67 vacuum tee
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:38:08 PM »
Should be brass. Here's one that may fit the bill.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Agree any T or vacuum block  in 67 would be brass
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Should be brass. Here's one that may fit the bill.
Jim
That is what I was referring to as the vacuum manifold. The problem is there is not enough ports on the manifold for everything. The Ford vacuum manual shows a tee in one of the line coming off the brass manifold. What I am asking is what would that tee be made of.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 03:30:06 PM »
That is what I was referring to as the vacuum manifold. The problem is there is not enough ports on the manifold for everything. The Ford vacuum manual shows a tee in one of the line coming off the brass manifold. What I am asking is what would that tee be made of.

Could the T in the illustration be the check valve with the three (one at one end and two at the other) ports?  Is the picture your referring to a drawing or an illustration or possibly a generic non Mustang picture?
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »
I'll get a picture of the manual tomorrow.
For now lets start over and if you have pictures or can tell me where you would run the vacuum source for the AC, automatic transmission and tilt column. The fitting with two ports that Jim pictured is what I have. I need to know where to run the third?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
Looking at the 67 TSB article related to the tilt posted in the Library I think I see the diagram that may have been reproduced in the manual. It appears to be from another model car and shows two T's. Reason I think its from another application at least one of the hoses is marked as going to the power brake vacuum unit

Will look through what I've got in pictures. Think other engines may provide some help with routing, hoses, check valves and possibly T's. Will check the few 67 Cougar pictures also since they are much more likely to have all three - AC, auto and tilt
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:30:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:34:58 PM »
Marti will follow up tomorrow but two things to possibly consider

1- There is another brass vacuum block we've discussed on the site a couple of times that was used in 67 (289s at least) with three nipples rather than just two

2- Also have you considered the vacuum source (double nippled) at the brake booster assuming the car was equipped with Power brakes

Just a couple of things I thought I would float out there
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:03:53 AM »
    Does the car have two vacuum cannisters or only one?    If only one, the tilt vacuum has to be teed off that source as well as the AC.
Would have to be on outlet side of cannister for tilt away to work with engine off (not hooked direct to manifold).
    I owned a 67 390 GTA auto AC tilt with one cannister (early type cannister).   The tilt vacuum teed off the black vacuum hose but inside the car (plastic tee).   There were only 2 vacuum hose holes in the firewall - one black from cannister and one purple to hot water valve.  Hope this helps.
Kurt.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:06:48 AM by 67350#1242 »
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:41:48 AM »
Yes it has power brakes and could use that port but want to be sure what is done as in the assembly plant.
The possibility of a vacuum manifold with three ports would work.
This car has two vacuum cans each the type with built in check valves. Kurt my 67 GTA has the set up you are describing.
Thanks for the ideas.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Marty, are you saying you are using the port at the brake booster for the transmission vacuum servo?   That is the way factory did it on automatics.
If you have 2 cannisters, they must have been fed from the brass vacuum manifold, which would only require 2 nipples, right?
Do you have 3 vacuum line holes through the firewall?
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
Yes it has power brakes and could use that port but want to be sure what is done as in the assembly plant.
The possibility of a vacuum manifold with three ports would work.........

Believe like other details 67 is a confusing year and one that was a challenge for Ford. There appears to be multiple patterns depending on when the car was built and what options. 

Sorry no smoking gun since not allot of untouched loaded 67 S codes and the fact that these details are often very difficult to see and even more so get a picture of. Looking at pictures I would believe it is more likely that the transmission vacuum source was the PB check valve rather than the three nipple block. Have only found those on 67 289 applications at this point.

Unfortunately (possibly since there were so many combinations) don't think Ford published a set of drawings for just Mustangs and for all the possible combinations.  Thing there are up to 8 different possible needs for vacuum 

Did find a couple of examples with a  T used in the engine compartment directly behind the intake near the firewall

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:31:36 PM »
SOME S-codes had a vacuum source in the carb base Bake-o-lite spacer, not sure if yours is one or not. Really difficult to find those spacers back 20 or so years ago. Maybe somebody is making them again.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »
Marty, are you saying you are using the port at the brake booster for the transmission vacuum servo?   That is the way factory did it on automatics.
If you have 2 cannisters, they must have been fed from the brass vacuum manifold, which would only require 2 nipples, right?
Do you have 3 vacuum line holes through the firewall?

I am considering using the PB nipple to supply the automatic transmission. The lines through the fire wall are the purple stripe for the heater control valve , the black line for AC controls and the green and white stripe for the tilt column.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »
I was mistaken this diagram shows a tee and is a Mustang diagram but is for speed control.

Till I can find more evidence I believe that you are right I should use the PB port for the AT vacuum.