Author Topic: Turn signals inoperable  (Read 672 times)

Offline Horsman

Turn signals inoperable
« on: February 01, 2021, 09:51:52 PM »
Have flashers and running lights.  When I use the turn signal lever either direction the indicator on the dash goes solid with no blinking. Where is the best place to start looking first for the problem.

Thanks for the advice. 
Jeff Horsman
1967 K Code Mustang Fastback four speed
1966 Buick Gran Sport four speed
1986 Buick T-type

Offline jwc66k

Re: Turn signals inoperable
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:15:09 AM »
If you do not have a set of the 67 Mustang Assembly Manuals you should seriously consider getting a set. There are a couple of pages of wiring diagrams and drawings of the actual wiring installation and harness routeing. An inexpensive multi meter (good old Harbor Freight) is also a valuable tool.
In any case, I would start with the turn signal switch in the steering column (you need to remover the steering wheel).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:52:30 AM »
Sounds like the turn signal flasher unit is bad.  It should be attached to the back side of the instrument cluster.  Not a fun task to remove.  Note that the hazard light flasher unit is a separate component which is why the "flashers" work.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Horsman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:38:14 PM »
Sounds like the turn signal flasher unit is bad.  It should be attached to the back side of the instrument cluster.  Not a fun task to remove.  Note that the hazard light flasher unit is a separate component which is why the "flashers" work.

Bought a new flasher today, I will give that a shot. Thanks again for the help.
Jeff Horsman
1986 Buick T-type

Offline Horsman

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
Amazing, found both front turn signal bulbs were missing. Installed two bulbs and I was off to the races, signals working like a champ. After having some severe challenges installing the new bulbs makes me wonder if that is why they both were removed.
Jeff Horsman
1986 Buick T-type

Offline dave6768

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:50:30 PM »
I believe what happens is there is no current draw to heat up the contacts in the flasher and they open.  Same thing happens when a bulb is burned out.