Author Topic: 69 mach 1 primer colors  (Read 1548 times)

Offline cbrown

• Silver Level Subscriber
69 mach 1 primer colors
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »
Need some advice form the experts.  So I have san jose built  69 mach 1  build date is  12/19 68.  I know the bottom of the floors and rear of car were batch gray in color.  The front of the car had been sandblasted by previuos owner.  My question is should  this have same batch gray as I did rear of car or would it be red oxide?  Seems to me I have seen cars or conversations the front might be red oxide on san jose built.  also what about backside of rear valance gray or red oxide?

any help appreciated
chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 mach 1 primer colors
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:07:40 PM »
..........So I have san jose built  69 mach 1  build date is  12/19 68.  I know the bottom of the floors and rear of car were batch gray in color.  The front of the car had been sandblasted by previous owner.  My question is should  this have same batch gray as I did rear of car or would it be red oxide?

Easy one :)  Red oxide applied to the bottom of the  front frame rail approx directly below (maybe a few inches rearward) from the face of the firewall  going forward. Applied after (overlapping) the batch/floor color.

also what about backside of rear valance gray or red oxide?
The back side

Valance was attached (hung) after the gray was applied over the red oxide to the exterior of the body. Now the painter didn't always get a good coat of gray below the taillight panel area ;)

The back side of the valance would IMHO not have received a direct application of the gray surfacing primer directly.

Not sure what model your restoring but the sound deadener blobs/smears appear to have been applied before the gray and certainly before it was attached to the car.

You'll normally get direct spray at the outer ends (the ends) overspray and a misting further in from the end, through the back up light holes and through the gas tank opening from the body color application
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:15:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cbrown

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »
thank you that's perfect.  and as shelbys   only a couple screws get paint holding the valance on?

chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:28:07 PM »
thank you that's perfect.  and as shelbys   only a couple screws get paint holding the valance on?

Yes only 2 installed when the car was built - like 65-67 Shelbys ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cbrown

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
thanks again!!

chris